Author Topic: RC Circuits  (Read 608200 times)

Fu-Kwun Hwang

• Administrator
    • Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations
Re: RC Circuits
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 10:51:39 am »
Due to request from users, you can find the original source code as an attachment for this post.
However, it was written almost 10 years ago with JDK1.0.2.
Some modification might be needed to work with current JDK.

luke warmbath

« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 04:40:16 am »
I was always taught to have units on every axis. Your "Y" axis is obviously Voltage (0 to 10V) and should I think be labelled "Volts". Presumably it also shows current. This should also be labelled with units.

Great simulation. I am using RC circuits to simulate nerve conduction rates in humans.

Luke

Fu-Kwun Hwang

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49:33 am »
Thank you! I just added label for x-axis (time:s) and y-axis (Voltage:V)

lj,h.ki

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2009, 11:44:13 pm »
I'm a teacher
and this Java helps me alot
thaaaaaaaaaaaaank you veeeeeeeery muuuuuuch
 ;D

flyingcloude

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2009, 10:31:03 pm »
thanks very much

anacarla

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2010, 11:40:36 pm »
hi! I'm a portuguese physics teacher and this animation helped my classes a lot. THANK YOU!!

guru_dsp

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2010, 02:22:03 am »
Hi,

Its a nice tool. I've one doubt and hope you will clarify it. We know that t = RC. Can I select any value of R and C so that the equation is satisfied. For eg: if I want t = 20ns which one is better..?

Option (A): R = 200 Ohm and C = 100 pF 

Option (B): R = 1K Ohm and C = 20 nF

Is there any rule to select the value of Capacitor..?

Basically, I'm delaying the continous square wave signal through an RC circuit and also want to know what should be the maximum frequency of the input signal to the RC to have 20ns..?

Many Thanks...!

Fu-Kwun Hwang

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2010, 08:07:59 am »
It depends on the maximum current you need to flow through the circuit,
For the same RC value,
with smaller R, bigger C: you will have larger maximum current and more energy stored in the capacitor. YOu might need this for C to act as another power device.
with larger R,smaller C: you will have smaller maximum current and less energy stored in the capacitor.you might need this for using RC as timing device.

m delaying the continous square wave signal through an RC circuit ...

I do not understand why square wave can be delayed with RC circuit? The wave form will be changed. It is not a delayed waveform.

Please describe in detail what is your application (and specification). 20 ns is a very short time. If you just need to delay signal, you should use a coaxial cable with length $L=3cdot10^8   imes 2cdot10^{-9}=0.6 ,m{m}$.

guru_dsp

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 01:45:18 pm »
It depends on the maximum current you need to flow through the circuit,
For the same RC value,
with smaller R, bigger C: you will have larger maximum current and more energy stored in the capacitor. YOu might need this for C to act as another power device.
with larger R,smaller C: you will have smaller maximum current and less energy stored in the capacitor.you might need this for using RC as timing device.

m delaying the continous square wave signal through an RC circuit ...

I do not understand why square wave can be delayed with RC circuit? The wave form will be changed. It is not a delayed waveform.

Please describe in detail what is your application (and specification). 20 ns is a very short time. If you just need to delay signal, you should use a coaxial cable with length $L=3cdot10^8   imes 2cdot10^{-9}=0.6 ,m{m}$.

Thanks for your answer and I'm sorry for not describing the next question clearly. Basically I've a clock signal which can be programmed to any value from (few KHz to 50MHz). This is the serial clock which I'm deriving from a programmable processor. I gave this clock as an input to the RC circuit and the output I'm connecting to the serial port as its clock. Now, I want to check if i give this way and have t=RC = 20ns will still be able to work properly. Hence, I need to make sure the values of R and C I use for the given clock input of few KHz or MHz. In summary, rather than giving the clock directly, i pass it through RC and then check for the data transfer with the peripheral. The peripheral expects good rise time and fall time  but does not  mention the exact values required for it. so i'm checking with the different RC combination, 10ns, 20ns and check if it really works...

Thanks again for your valuable guidance...

Best Regards,
Guru

tam85

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2010, 01:49:27 pm »
yeah i agree, this is a great tool! thank you very much Fu-Kwun Hwang. hope u will post more great applets!
________________________-*-

Fu-Kwun Hwang

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »
The peripheral expects good rise time and fall time
Do you mean you need a very short rise/fall time? Or you need a longer rise/fall time?
The RC value will determine the rise/fall time.

Since it is used as a trigger signal, especially, if you only need trigger voltage, you can use larger resistor/smaller capacitor combination. Anyway, it is determined by the specification/requirement for the trigger input signal.

tam85

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2010, 10:41:00 am »
yeah i agree, this is a great tool! thank you very much Fu-Kwun Hwang. hope u will post more great applets!-*-

filipovic

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2011, 11:48:35 pm »
Hi, can you send me the source code of this applet please?

my email addres is filipe1990@hotmail.com

Best regards!

ahmedelshfie

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2011, 05:26:36 pm »
You can download source code by yourself, you have to look up the applet, you gonna found to options: send to my email account download file(1364/1028)
Choose download file(1364/1028) and click at Get Files For Offline Use Button and you will be already to download the source at your PC as winzip, unzip and enjoy  the physic applet.

filipovic

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2011, 06:34:58 pm »
You can download source code by yourself, you have to look up the applet, you gonna found to options: send to my email account download file(1364/1028)
Choose download file(1364/1028) and click at Get Files For Offline Use Button and you will be already to download the source at your PC as winzip, unzip and enjoy  the physic applet.

Sorry, I didn't express myself properly. I'm trying to get the java project to know what I need to do.

It's possible to get that?

Best Regards