Time Java Applet
Would you like to measure your reation time?
Would you like to estimate how fast you can drive safely on the highway?
- Click Start to start the animation. Click Brake to stop the
- The time delay between the red light is turned on and you click the brake
button will be shown in the textfield.
- (plus the time needed to stop the car after the brake is started. The corresponds
distances which the car moved are also shown on the graph)
- Paramenters you can change
- Initial Velocity of the car : initial value is 72 km/h = 20 m/s
- You can select the unit for the velocity ( km/h, mile/h or m/s)
- Friction coefficient of tires
on the road : initial value is 0.8
- The Y-coordinate the the small dots are proportional to the velocity of
- Notice that it is not a straight line after the brake turned on! Because
- The mouseXV textfield shows X-coordinate and velocity of the car at the
- If you drag the mouse, it will change to values of the relative distance
and the relative velocity.
- (relative to the point where you started to drag the mouse)
- Press Reset button to restart the testing.
- Close the window to Quit.
Reaction time : the lapse of time between stimulation and the beginning
You are driving on the high way and listening to the music you like
Suddently, you see the brake light of the car in front of you just turned
You will try to hit the brake and slow down your car.
But, there is a small time delay before you really do that---
your reaction time.
During that period of time, your car is still moving at the same HIGH
If you do not want something VERY BAD happened,
What is minimum diatance between front of your car and the rear of the
car before yours?
If both cars need the same distance to fully stopped, the miniuum distance
How to improve this applet? Suggestions are highly appreciated. Please
My personal Home Page http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/~hwang/
Last modified :
URLs link to this page
|Typical value of tires
|auto tires on dry concrete
|auto tires on wet concrete
|auto tires on icyconcrete