NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
December 14, 2017, 03:38:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
There is a better way to do it; find it. ..."Thomas Edison(1847-1931, American inventor, 1093 patients)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRANSVERSE WAVE ON A STRING  (Read 12386 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
deepika.physicslover

«
Embed this message
on: February 15, 2009, 05:16:23 pm » posted from:Delhi,Delhi,India

TRNSVERSE WAVE ON A STRING
CAN WE SAY THAT A PARTICLE OF DA ELEMENT OF A STRING (WHEN GIVEN JURKS CONTINUOSLY CREATING A TRANSVERSE WAVE ON DA STRING)  IS DOING S.H.M (simple harmonic motin) WITHOUT ANY HARM?  Roll Eyes
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 05:34:16 pm »

Only if the amplitude is relatively small.
SHM is an approximation. But it is a good approximation in most of the cases.
deepika.physicslover

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:00:11 pm »

k,now let me proceed step by step towards my doubt....
if a sinusoidal wave is travelling along a string n take the moment when a particle's displacement is max. then :
at the top of the hump tension would b tangential (since the wave function is sin(t)) so the net tension is zero....(tell me if i m wrong somewhere).(tension obeying newtons third law ).
since the particle have max. displacement the vel of the particle at that instsnt is zero also tension is zero at that position then which force is responsible for providing that particle a necessary acceleration so that it can get back 2 its original position.
if i take a string element d(s) not a particle  den the resolving the tangential tension (which is not fully in horizontal direction) in vertical n horizontal directions , the tensions in horizontal (opposite direction)cancel each other n therefore the net is in the vertical direction n yes,satisfies the condition for S.H.M.....since that net force provides necessary acceleration for that string element considered.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:42:57 pm »

Please check out formation of wave and find out relation between displacement/velocity and acceleration(force).
crestiksa

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: October 26, 2009, 04:19:38 pm » posted from:Moscow,Moscow City,Russian Federation

I think you just about have it. The only thing I would say is that I think that each of the Zwave switches require a neutral wire at the switch. So if you want z-wave then you will have to consider this in your rewiring. -*-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
There is a better way to do it; find it. ..."Thomas Edison(1847-1931, American inventor, 1093 patients)"

Jump to: