NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
November 15, 2018, 10:13:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Give me a standpoint and I will move the earth. ...Archimedes (287-212BC)
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lens combination question  (Read 9150 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Les Bradley

«
Embed this message
on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:29 pm »

I've been reading about lenses, studying optics applets, etc., but I'm still missing how to figure this out:

I have a regular, 35mm film camera with a normal, 50mm, lens.  What are my options for placing a lens element in front of the regular lens (away from the film plane), to achieve either a more telephoto (longer focal length) or a more wide angle (shorter focal length) image?  I just can't picture in my mind what the rays for such a setup would look like.

I'm aware that one can place magnifying adapters between the camera's lens and the camera body, but I want to work with a camera whose lens cannot be removed.

I have a few different camera lens assemblies for my 35mm camera I can experiment with.  I have experimented with various arrangements without achieving a useful effect.  There is probably a simple answer staring me in the face, but I'm having a problem conceptualizing it.

My ultimate goal is to experiment with a digital camera, placing some lens in front of the camera's lens.  I have a Canon PowerShot A580.  The lens is a 4x zoom, 5.8-23.2mm, 1:2.6-5.5

Why would I want to expand on the capabilities of my Canon point-and-shoot?  I need more control over image magnification, and I want to better understand the optics principles involved!

I mentioned the 35mm camera first, because I have more pieces to experiment with.

I have purchased an assortment of 38mm diameter lenses from Edmund's Scientific (double-concave F10, F15, F20; double-convex F5, F10, F15, F20, F30) and have a few other larger diameter lenses I've collected over the years.

What's the concept that I'm missing?  Thanks!
WelenScos
watchlist

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44:27 pm » posted from:Seattle,Washington,United States

SimplePortal 2.3.3 | Treasury 2.08 ... Ist es eigentlich Non-Canon, dass Non-Canon nicht Canon ist, weil Canon ...
-*-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
Give me a standpoint and I will move the earth. ...Archimedes (287-212BC)

Jump to: