NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
October 20, 2017, 02:00:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
The softest thing overcomes the hardest thing in the universe. ...Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A lens combination question  (Read 8685 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Les Bradley

«
Embed this message
on: July 31, 2008, 10:31:29 pm »

I've been reading about lenses, studying optics applets, etc., but I'm still missing how to figure this out:

I have a regular, 35mm film camera with a normal, 50mm, lens.  What are my options for placing a lens element in front of the regular lens (away from the film plane), to achieve either a more telephoto (longer focal length) or a more wide angle (shorter focal length) image?  I just can't picture in my mind what the rays for such a setup would look like.

I'm aware that one can place magnifying adapters between the camera's lens and the camera body, but I want to work with a camera whose lens cannot be removed.

I have a few different camera lens assemblies for my 35mm camera I can experiment with.  I have experimented with various arrangements without achieving a useful effect.  There is probably a simple answer staring me in the face, but I'm having a problem conceptualizing it.

My ultimate goal is to experiment with a digital camera, placing some lens in front of the camera's lens.  I have a Canon PowerShot A580.  The lens is a 4x zoom, 5.8-23.2mm, 1:2.6-5.5

Why would I want to expand on the capabilities of my Canon point-and-shoot?  I need more control over image magnification, and I want to better understand the optics principles involved!

I mentioned the 35mm camera first, because I have more pieces to experiment with.

I have purchased an assortment of 38mm diameter lenses from Edmund's Scientific (double-concave F10, F15, F20; double-convex F5, F10, F15, F20, F30) and have a few other larger diameter lenses I've collected over the years.

What's the concept that I'm missing?  Thanks!
WelenScos
watchlist

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 04:44:27 pm » posted from:Seattle,Washington,United States

SimplePortal 2.3.3 | Treasury 2.08 ... Ist es eigentlich Non-Canon, dass Non-Canon nicht Canon ist, weil Canon ...
-*-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
The softest thing overcomes the hardest thing in the universe. ...Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)

Jump to: