NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
December 12, 2017, 01:48:43 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
The softest thing overcomes the hardest thing in the universe. ...Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reflection Simulation  (Read 39591 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
lhoots

«
Embed this message
on: June 13, 2008, 01:09:35 am »

My name is Lucas Hoots and I am researching with a professor and a classmate this summer at Centre College in Kentucky.  We are investigating a problem about trapping light with disjoint segment mirrors.  What we need is similar to the multiple reflection from two plane mirrors applet that you have already created.  Basically, we need a single light source that emits rays in all directions. Then, we need to be able to draw line segments (mirrors) that will reflect from both sides.  This way we can test various designs that produce the best "trapping". We need to see the rays that will get between the disjoint mirrors.  Does this sound like something that is possible?  If you need any more information please contact me at allison.perkins@centre.edu.  Thank you so much!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 05:00:03 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

I need to know more about the constraints/detail information for your design.

Does all the mirrors are all the same length? Are they all connected together? ...
Please write down all the information you know.
lhoots

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 09:48:28 pm »

The mirrors do not touch.  I would like to be able to draw mirrors of various size at any place around the light.

Think of it this way...  There is a light in the middle of a room emitting light in all directions.  We want to place flat mirrors of any length at any point around the light.  Ideally, we want to use the mirrors to reflect the light back onto itself so that it does not escape into infinity.  The mirrors should be able to reflect on both sides. 

It's similar to the Multiple Reflection from two plane mirrors applet except we do not want the mirrors to touch and we want to be able to put any size mirror in ourselves in any location around the light source.  We would like to be able to place as many mirrors as possible. 

I hope this helps!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 02:05:45 pm »

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME

I just create a simulation for you according to your description. However, I think you did not think carefully about your problem. Because you have too many possibility: light in all direction?(infinity), mirrors of any length at any point.

The following is what I have created.

You can use mouse drag and drop to create mirrors (maximum number=36).The first mouse click will be the starting point for the mirror, drag your mouse and drop it at the place you want.
You can place mirror at any different locations.
(You can drag both end points to change the mirrors later.)

And you can change number of rays (uniform distribution in 360 degree).
I also add an option for light to be bounded at the boundary.
I will leave the rest of work to you! Enjoy it.

If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME
pvrcruys

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 10:20:05 pm »

Hi, My name is peter from Belgium. This applet is really wonderfull! I am currently interested in interaction of light with small sferical objets. It would be great for me to use this applet with mirrors that are convex and adjustable in hight (small, medium and big circles). Also a beam as a light source would be better to see the reflection from the convex mirrors. Can you do this for me?

Many thanks!

Peter
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 01:07:16 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

Please check out Lens (thick lens) and Mirror for large size thick lens.

You are interested in
interaction of light with small sferical objets. It would be great for me to use this applet with mirrors that are convex and adjustable in hight (small, medium and big circles).

I did not fully understand what you really want.
Could you explained it in more detail? May be includeing a simple drawing/image (you can attach image).
pvrcruys

«
Embed this message
Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 02:59:29 pm »

Thank you for the rapid response.
It is something like this I am interested in:

the lines represent a light beam and the circles are reflecting objects.

I hope this helps?

Thank you very much

* beam.jpg (20.96 KB, 380x433 - viewed 448 times.)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 03:24:33 pm by pvrcruys » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 04:42:18 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

I need more information:

How many spherical objects you want (maximum)?
And they are all reflected object, right? (act as mirror)
Do you want all the objects have the same x coordinate (aligned) or their position can be anywhere (use mouse drag and drop)?

I will assume objects are not overlapping? 

May I know what is the purpose of your project?
Tell me more about what you really want to do so that I can create simulation better fit what you really want.
pvrcruys

«
Embed this message
Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 04:51:48 pm »

I was thinking around 30 spherical objects; all reflecting yes.

The position can be anywhere (=drag and drop) without overlapping.

I am studying interaction of light with small (10-1000 micrometers) spherical particles. We want to investigate the influence of the particle size on the reflected light of some kind of laser.

Thanks
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #9 on: August 05, 2008, 05:46:52 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

Here is the first version according what you have described above.
You can drag and drop all circles and all the rays and it's velocity.
However, I have not take care of the overlapping yet.
If you want to view the simuylation: Click

pvrcruys

«
Embed this message
Reply #10 on: August 05, 2008, 06:08:58 pm »

This look allready very good! Is it also possible to adjust the size of the circles?

Many Thanks!!!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #11 on: August 05, 2008, 09:26:21 pm »

Do you want those circles all have the same size or they could have different size?
The number of circles might need to be changed if you want to increase the size.
And total number of rays will need to increased if you want to decrease the size.
What is the range of the size you want to be able to change?

And, do you really need to drag each circle to different position to take care of possible overlapping problem?
More computer resource will be needed if you have more requirements.
Please think carefully what you really need and provide detail specifications.
pvrcruys

«
Embed this message
Reply #12 on: August 05, 2008, 10:20:10 pm »

Thanks for the replies.
Circles don't need to be smaller, that would take us to far. If it would be possible to increase radius by x2; x4; x6; x8? Obviously, then less circles need to be present.

If it is possible it would be beneficial if different sizes of circles can be present.

The amount of rays is surely sufficient, no need for more.

Overlapping is no problem, don't need to do anything about that.

Thank you in advance! peter
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #13 on: August 05, 2008, 11:10:44 pm »

You did not tell me what is the constraint when different size of circles are presented.
Do you want the center of those circles all have the same x-coordinate? 
It will be very difficult if you want to use mouse to drag those circles and make them all align by yourself.
The following is the second version which I just add another option for you to adjust the SAME size for all the circles.

You did not let me know what is the purpose of your project. May be there are better way to achieve it.
Because you did not provide enough information, the above simulation is the best I can do for you!

Please give me DETAIL information if you want me to modify the simulation to better suit your need!

ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 07:46:00 am » posted from:Uberaba,Minas Gerais,Brazil

Really wonderful developer interface simple but code is difficult
Any way you the best prof  Smiley
yxu

«
Embed this message
Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 06:27:35 am » posted from:Morristown,New Jersey,United States

Hi,
This is really nice. I have a similar interest to the applet that you have created on post 4, but would like to use parallel light beam with aperture. Also, I would like to add mirrors by coordinates (start/end) and mirrors touch when meet. Could you create one for me please?

Thanks
Young Xu
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:32:18 am by yxu » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 06:04:08 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

1. Parallel light? what is the direction of the parallel light? How many rays you want?
2. Add mirrors by coordinates? At least four numbers are needed for one mirror (start points x,y and end points x,y).
If you need more than one mirror, then there will be many input fields? Is that really what you want? And how many mirrors need to be drawn.
yxu

«
Embed this message
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2010, 05:58:12 am » posted from:Morristown,New Jersey,United States

1. Parallel light? what is the direction of the parallel light? How many rays you want?
2. Add mirrors by coordinates? At least four numbers are needed for one mirror (start points x,y and end points x,y).
If you need more than one mirror, then there will be many input fields? Is that really what you want? And how many mirrors need to be drawn.

1. the light direction should be from left to right like the one you created on post 14. I think the same ray density should be fine. I would like an aperture to adjust where and how many rays to pass.
2. Yes, four numbers would be necessary for a mirror, can you add one mirror at a time? the mirror added should stay. This way we can add as many as possible. mouse draw is too inaccurate. A possible enhancement: a list that shows coordinates of all mirrors added.

Thanks in advance.

Young
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #18 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:35 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

The following simulation is created according to your request.
You can drag the vertical line to change the position and width of the incoming rays.

Use mouse(click then drag to other position) to add mirrors.
You can clcik a new "table" checkbox to show coordinate for those mirrors, and you can edit those coordinates.
The maximum number of mirror is 36.

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
yxu

«
Embed this message
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2010, 07:04:38 am » posted from:Morristown,New Jersey,United States

Dear professor Hwang,
The applet does not seems to work right. I tested it with 2 mirrors as following:
x  y  dx  dy
-0.352  -0.5  0.5  0.5
-0.310  0.025  0.5  0.5

ray speed =0.9, 18 rays
the refection rays look wrong. here is a screenshot.

Regards

Young Xu

* screen.JPG (33.38 KB, 580x531 - viewed 450 times.)
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2010, 09:57:58 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

The above simulation was modified from previous simulation.
It seems that I did not modifed all the required code, I will try to fix it and upload it again!
tyj8tim

«
Embed this message
Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 01:12:23 am » posted from:Ann Arbor,Michigan,United States

Hello, I really liked the first java program (point source interaction with manually drawn mirrors). Can I ask for some modification on this program? Instead of hand drawn mirrors every time, I would like to have three mirrors forming a well. And the program would allow me to adjust the aspect ratio between the height and the width. Is that possible?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #22 on: September 01, 2012, 01:56:15 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Three mirrors forming a well?
Could you upload an image show me an example?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
The softest thing overcomes the hardest thing in the universe. ...Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)

Jump to: