NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
April 19, 2014, 04:24:45 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. ..."George Bernard Shaw(1865-1950, Irish dramatist, essayist and critic, Nobel Prize for Literature 1925)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vernier Caliper and Micrometer with zero error options  (Read 75333 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #30 on: June 09, 2009, 07:42:59 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

There are several downloadable jar file in this topic. Please indicated which one you downloaded.
May be it is a network problem. Try to download it again.
mn12833

«
Embed this message
Reply #31 on: June 10, 2009, 10:04:22 pm » posted from:Marysville,Ohio,United States

The files I tried to download are ejs_micrometer2.jar and ejs_caliper.jar  I receive an error when I try to launch these files.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #32 on: June 11, 2009, 12:02:53 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

I just downloaded both files , and there are all working fine with my computer.
I have no ideas what kind of error you had (you did not said it).
Please check out the file size:
ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_micrometer2.jar: 1359511
ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_caliper.jar:1337066
You need to download it again if the file size are not the same as above.
You will need to at least close your browser , otherwise you might get the cached file.
If your network provider keep a cache, you will need to download it from other computer/network.

If the file size are O.K. Try to check out java console and find out what are the error shown.

If you can provide more information, may be I can try to help you.
But there is no way I can help if you just said you have problem or you got an error without further information.

mn12833

«
Embed this message
Reply #33 on: June 25, 2009, 11:14:15 pm » posted from:Marysville,Ohio,United States

I am not able to retrieve the files
ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_micrometer2.jar: 1359511
ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_caliper.jar:1337066

When I receive the ntnujavazip file (1308 KB) and I try to launch it (unzip it). I amp prompted to input a password. Needless to say I still have not been able to obtain the .jar files.

Am I looking in the wrong spot? What am I doing wrong? I apologize the inconvenience. Any support would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone for their time and efforts.

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #34 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35:42 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

I have no problem download those two files:
Download EJS jar file ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_caliper.jar(1305.7kB)
and Download EJS jar file: ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_caliper.jar(1327.6kB)

It should not ask for password if you have login to the system already.
mn12833

«
Embed this message
Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 01:14:15 am » posted from:Marysville,Ohio,United States

Ok.  I am feeling a little goofy right now.  I clicked on the links to download the files and was prompted to download (save) file ntnujavazip (1.27 MB).  I open the folder users_ntnu_fkh_  but there is not a caliper.jar file in this destination.  There is a folder called caliper_pkg.  This folder contains 5 CLASS files (caliper, caliperApplet, caliperSimulation, caliperview$1, and caliperview).  A file called caliper that is a XML document and a file called caliper_intro 1 which is a HTML document.  I do not see the .jar file.  Try not to laugh at me too much.  Thanks for prompt support.

lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 08:00:34 am » posted from:SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE

I open the folder users_ntnu_fkh_ but there is not a caliper.jar file in this destination. There is a folder called caliper_pkg. This folder contains 5 CLASS files (caliper, caliperApplet, caliperSimulation, caliperview$1, and caliperview). A file called caliper that is a XML document and a file called caliper_intro 1 which is a HTML document. I do not see the .jar file.

The download is a EJS jar file ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_caliper.jar (1305.7kB).
U need to associate the file type to jar ?
Do not use any zip program to unzip unless that is what u want, like to extract the xml source which i do sometimes.

watch this video may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jOQcXu_v8

around 2:48 Smiley

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 08:25:39 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

Ok. I am feeling a little goofy right now. I clicked on the links to download the files and was prompted to download (save) file ntnujavazip (1.27 MB). I open the folder users_ntnu_fkh_ but there is not a caliper.jar file in this destination. There is a folder called caliper_pkg. This folder contains 5 CLASS files (caliper, caliperApplet, caliperSimulation, caliperview$1, and caliperview). A file called caliper that is a XML document and a file called caliper_intro 1 which is a HTML document. I do not see the .jar file. Try not to laugh at me too much. Thanks for prompt support.

Did you get download file as a single file? --- this should be the normal case
or did you get a folder of many files? --- it might be that your computer are too advanced, it can unzip the download file automatically?
or Did you unzip the the downloaded file? --- it seems that your computer might associate .jar file to a unzip program
   (for example after you instll WIZIP or WINRAR or similar programs)

Your computer need to associate .jar file to java program to be able to run it (by double click the downloaded .jar file- as a single file).
Please following the above instruction to inatll java run time (it will try to associate .jar file to java program again).
It is also possible to change the association of .jar file to java program (if you know how to do it).
mn12833

«
Embed this message
Reply #38 on: June 27, 2009, 01:33:46 am » posted from:Marysville,Ohio,United States

Thanks.  You guys are awesome!  Yes I do feel a little goofy, but I will get over.  The students will appreciate it as well.  It will definitely make the instruction for micrometers and calipers easier.  Thanks for all the support and patience.  This forum is very good and educational.  I will share this sight with a lot of my friends.  Thanks again.
lookang

«
Embed this message
Reply #39 on: June 27, 2009, 11:28:56 pm » posted from:Singapore,,Singapore

i remixed these from prof hwang's.
Best of 2 worlds, the original university prof ones and a high school teachers remixes.
Function/Accuracy with Ease of Use/Customization high school use
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=684.0

http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=683.0

could u test all 4 applets with your students and let us know what can be done to improve them.?
join in the revolution for free access to educational resources Smiley
anyone can join in to remix the source code and make instructional materials & worksheets to help students make sense and learn by doing.

act locally and think globally!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:46:29 pm by lookang » Logged
lookang

«
Embed this message
Reply #40 on: September 12, 2009, 07:43:14 am » posted from:Singapore,,Singapore

is there a bug?
i got a fellow teacher to test it and it appears that sometimes a slight error does occur in the display.
for your info Cheesy

after more investigating , i realize it is due to 0.08 being read as 0.05 instead of 0.1  if the marking are 0, 0.05 0.1.

* vernierbug.PNG (35.44 KB, 1280x800 - viewed 134 times.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 08:32:05 am by lookang » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #41 on: September 12, 2009, 09:01:11 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

Yes. It is a bug.  I did not test it when running in full screen mode.

Please modify the following code in function dvalue:
modify from
Code:
else if(unit==0.05)out=((int)(v*100.+dv)/5)/20.;
to
Code:
else if(unit==0.05)out=((int)(v*20.+dv))/20.;
The above simulation has been updated,too!
lookang

«
Embed this message
Reply #42 on: September 12, 2009, 09:40:16 am » posted from:Singapore,,Singapore

U r the greatest educator-designer of interactive digital learning i know. Wink

babylioness

«
Embed this message
Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 10:28:33 pm »

I open the folder users_ntnu_fkh_ but there is not a caliper.jar file in this destination. There is a folder called caliper_pkg. This folder contains 5 CLASS files (caliper, caliperApplet, caliperSimulation, caliperview$1, and caliperview). A file called caliper that is a XML document and a file called caliper_intro 1 which is a HTML document. I do not see the .jar file.

The download is a EJS jar file ejs_users_ntnu_fkh_caliper.jar (1305.7kB).
U need to associate the file type to jar ?
Do not use any zip program to unzip unless that is what u want, like to extract the xml source which i do sometimes.

watch this video may help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4jOQcXu_v8

around 2:48 Smiley

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b4jOQcXu_v8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b4jOQcXu_v8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Hi...

I also faced similar problem. It seems that the downloaded file is a zip folder with many files inside. I cannot seem to associate it with jar file. How do I do that? I do not know which file(s) inside the folder to open?

Thanks in advance!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 10:52:09 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

There are two different types of downloaded file at this website.
1. For those simulations under "jdk1.0.2 simulations" -- simulations I have created before 2001.
  The download file is ZIP file. You should unzip the file and open xxx.html file (where xxx ussally is the same as the filename of the ZIP file).

2. For those simulations under "Easy java simulation" -- simulations I have created since 2001-.
  The download file is JAR file. Normally, you can double click the JAR file to run the simulation as a java program (application).
  However, your computer should support java (i.e. installed JAVA RUN TIME or JAVA SDK).
 However, if you have installed some UNZIP program, e.g. WINRAR ...etc
 Those program might have set JAR program to be opened by UNZIP program,
  so window file manager open the JAR file as ZIP file ,
  then you would not be able to run it (because you have associate JAR file to UNZIP program).

You need to change the association back to JAVA
The easiest way is to download the latest java run time and install it again
 (or you can change the association by yourself if you know how to do it.)
babylioness

«
Embed this message
Reply #45 on: December 03, 2009, 10:19:17 am »

There are two different types of downloaded file at this website.
1. For those simulations under "jdk1.0.2 simulations" -- simulations I have created before 2001.
  The download file is ZIP file. You should unzip the file and open xxx.html file (where xxx ussally is the same as the filename of the ZIP file).

2. For those simulations under "Easy java simulation" -- simulations I have created since 2001-.
  The download file is JAR file. Normally, you can double click the JAR file to run the simulation as a java program (application).
  However, your computer should support java (i.e. installed JAVA RUN TIME or JAVA SDK).
 However, if you have installed some UNZIP program, e.g. WINRAR ...etc
 Those program might have set JAR program to be opened by UNZIP program,
  so window file manager open the JAR file as ZIP file ,
  then you would not be able to run it (because you have associate JAR file to UNZIP program).

You need to change the association back to JAVA
The easiest way is to download the latest java run time and install it again
 (or you can change the association by yourself if you know how to do it.)

Hi... Thanks! I think I managed to get it now... Basically I change the file extension from ntnujavazip to ntnujava.jar. Then I double click it and manage to open the java file. =) Thanks a million for the clear explanation!

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #46 on: December 03, 2009, 01:12:08 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

Could you tell me the URL where you download the above file?

The program which process the download is ntnujavazip.php
However, The extension of the file you have received should be either .zip or .jar

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
Progress is impossible without change; and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. ..."George Bernard Shaw(1865-1950, Irish dramatist, essayist and critic, Nobel Prize for Literature 1925)"

Jump to: