NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
December 15, 2017, 11:48:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Teaching without words. ...Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Research Direction for EJS  (Read 6597 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
on: November 06, 2008, 09:37:03 am » posted from:Singapore,,Singapore

My intention of R&D in EJS
i want to conduct a research on the EJS created java applets, but i hope to align my research with latest development in EJS.

Question 1:
Any research questions that you need me to conduct research on?

My control:
I can use my fellow teachers/friends' classes as my experimental and control groups.

Question 2:
I have yet to see any papers on using EJS an a tool for K-12 (secondary under 18 years old) education that explore students learning in model building. Would this be a good research ? Smiley

My thoughts:
I think i will have a hard time getting students to do deep learning using EJS an a simulation building pedagogical tool.
I also think i will have a hard time getting others teachers to use EJS as a simulation building pedagogical tool.

EJS is a wonder tool for deep learning, but i have fears that the (below 18 years old)students are not ready to learn this way.

university learners are perhaps the best to use EJS in simulation modeling.

Question 3:
Is there a lot of teachers in K-12 using EJS in the described ways "help students create their own simulations in order to express their conceptions on how a given scientific process works."?
Any teachers besides me that you know use EJS?

Quote:
Easy Java Simulations: a software tool to create scientific simulations in Java Francisco Esquembre 2003

Abstract
We introduce Easy Java Simulations, Ejs, a tool created by science teachers to help teach and learn science. Ejs allows users to create simulations using their knowledge of the scientific model. The author needs to supply a small amount of code for the model; the tool provides a graphical drag-and-drop interface to build the program. The resulting Ejs generated program is an independent, high quality Java application or applet ready to be published on a Web server. Ejs can serve as an effective teaching and learning tool if used in an appropriate pedagogical setting; for instance, to help students create their own simulations in order to express their conceptions on how a given scientific process works.
UnQuote:

thanks prof hwang!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 09:54:10 am by lookang » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:42:23 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

There are several middle school teachers and high school teachers working with me.
Some of them have created simulation with ejs and some of them have created animation with flash.
Their work can be found either at my Chinese forum or Science Garden web site (Both of them are in Chinese).
One of my MS students have created EJS simulations for assessment purpose. We have compared similar type of physics concepts assessed with traditional way (text sentences and images) and ejs generated simulations.
We only found gender difference , however, it might sue to computer skills between boy and girls.
Another MS students have created simulations to help students understand wave phenomena.

I have tried to teach first year undergraduate students using EJS to create simulation in the past 4 years. However, most of them did not use it after the class is over. May be they are too busy or may be I have pushed them too much.

I was not able to find teachers who is willing to use EJS as a learning tools for high school students yet.
It will be great if you can find teacher who is willing to try it for high school students.

I would suggest the following steps:
1. create simulation similar to physics problem in the text book and let student play with it to solve the problem.
2. create standard physics simulation for students to modify some of the model.
 for example: create a projectile motion with any drag force and ask students to add any type of drag force (proportional to velocity or velocity square) and compare with original result.
3. Let the student starts to create simple model simulation.

It might take a long time from step2 to step3. Let the students familiar with the EJS environment first and let them know EJS can help them (instead of adding their load -- this might not be easy).
Many of my students think that EJS is too hard for them. But some of the students do enjoy it and some of them have created good simulations as their final project outcome.

Instead of asking each student to create his own simulation with ejs, for high school students, may be it is better to ask each group to create one or two simulation at the end of the program.

I will be willing to help as much as I can. :-)
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 10:45:15 pm »

noted with thanks!

i will explore student group project based learning.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
Teaching without words. ...Lao Tzu (570-490 BC)

Jump to: