NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
December 22, 2014, 04:48:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands. ..."Michelangelo (1475-1564, Italian sculptor, painter, architect and poet)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: physics of Rainbow  (Read 471567 times)
0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 11:03:52 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

if you stand with your back to the sun so you are facing the same direction as the incoming sunlight, you need to look at an angle of 42.0 degrees to see the rainbow.

If the sun is located 42 drgree above the ground, the rainbow need to be formed with waterd drop below horizontal line where you stand. 
We would not be able to see the rainbow at noon on the ground if the rainbow is form from sun light with water drop (cloud) in the sky. (Unless you are at a high place and looking down).

However, if the water drop is coming from spray the hose, you will be able to find rainbow any time (you stand with your back to the sun ---42 drgree is related to the direction of sun ray). 

The pattern you saw at night circle the moon is not from the same way in the above simulation (air/water refraction-> reflection in water -> water/air refraction).
I think it is similar to rainbow from from a prism (due to air/water refraction->  water/air refraction).
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 10:40:49 am » posted from:SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE

was looking at http://www.fisica.uniud.it/URDF/mptl14/ftp/abstracts/T2_73_OP%20Abstract.pdf
Great Conference Multimedia in Physics Teaching and Learning MPTL 14!!

Hi Prof, you didn't submit full paper?  Grin it is not there

i reproduced the abstract here, so that people know your insights on physics education with simulation.

T2_73 NTNU VIRTUAL PHYSICS LABORATORY: JAVA SIMULATIONS IN PHYSICS
Fu-Kwun Hwang, Department of Physics, National Taiwan Normal University, Taipei, Taiwan
(hwang@phy.ntnu.edu.tw)
I have created many physics simulations for teaching purpose since 1996. The first simulation created is a
thin lens applet. The main targeted users are physics teachers who want to use java simulation to illustrate
physics concept in classroom ,or combine simulation with worksheet designed for students. I started to
create more complicate simulation, like "physics of rainbow". As a physicist, I found there are so many
physics involved with rainbow. So I tried to add as much information as I knew to the simulation. Yes. I felt
great when it was created because I also learned from the simulation that rainbow is highly polarized. It is
also a popular page. However, it is too complicated and too much information available so that most of the
students will not be able to really learn from it without help from teacher. It might be a good simulation for
talented students, but it is not a good simulation for most of the students who just learned physics for a
short time. And I do not think many teachers really use all the information available in the simulation.
Teacher want to have simulations with many options so s/he can use the same simulations for different
cases. However, student need simulations with the option they needed just for their problem or conquer
their concept barrier. For simulation developer: if you want to let people think that you are good in physics or good in simulation skill, go ahead and create more complicate simulations. But if we want to really help teachers or students, please design simulation just for their need. Do not try to give them too much unless
the purpose is not help students to understand the physics concept. Several hundreds of physics related
simulations are freely available at NTNU Virtual Physics Laboratory web site
(http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/) The web site is a forum system so that user can ask questions
related to posted simulations. Login user will find "get file for offline use" button with "send to email
account" or "download directly" options. User can translate simulation web page and/or text symbols used
in the applet into local language format, so that it will be easier for their students. Enjoy it!
koclup1580
watchlist

«
Embed this message
Reply #32 on: November 15, 2012, 12:28:25 pm » posted from:Bangkok,Krung Thep,Thailand

thank you ....
anelinamartin

«
Embed this message
Reply #33 on: April 12, 2013, 12:27:24 pm » posted from:Lahore,Punjab,Pakistan

From my child hood i am wondering about rainbow. Then in 6th grade our teachers tell us little about it. But now i am completely understanding it. With the passage of time there will definitely more research on that. Now imapct of childhood still prest on me that's why i like to ear rainbow colors jackets during my ride.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:31:15 pm by anelinamartin » Logged
anelinamartin

«
Embed this message
Reply #34 on: July 25, 2013, 12:13:25 pm » posted from:Lahore,Punjab,Pakistan

Its quiet helping. I love to see rainbow colors when cooking food and my -*-double oven-*- gone a help me.
anelinamartin

«
Embed this message
Reply #35 on: August 21, 2013, 03:01:32 pm » posted from:Lahore,Punjab,Pakistan

Can you please share a collection of rainbow pictures with some effects of education.
-*-
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #36 on: August 27, 2013, 03:45:16 pm »

anelinamartin

«
Embed this message
Reply #37 on: April 25, 2014, 12:54:57 pm » posted from:Lahore,Punjab,Pakistan

Can you please share a collection of rainbow pictures with some effects of education.
-*-
Thank you for share. -*-
AntoniaCais

«
Embed this message
Reply #38 on: July 14, 2014, 11:26:59 pm » posted from:New Delhi,Delhi,India

Quote from: link=topic=44.msg277#msg277 date=1075424990
Subject: I saw a Polarized Rainbow!
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 01:18:24 -0800
To: hwang@phy03.phy.ntnu.edu.tw
I am, as far as I know, the first to see a "Polarized Rainbow"!
I think we should name this phenomona the "Rasmussen-Wang Rainbow". :-)
I am a tornado chaser for 20 years. About 4 years ago I was driving through a McDonald's drive thru.
As it was just after a pretty good storm, I had mys polarized yellow tinted flip-up sunglasses on.
Low and behold I almost dropped my cigarette into my lap.
There off in the east was a double rainbow!
Not the kind I've seen dozens of times where the second one is reveresed and much outside the primary,
but this was immediatly INSIDE the primary!
Gaping with my mouth open and people behind me honking,
I flipped my flip-ups up and the second inner one went away!
I must have sat there for 2 minutes flipping my sunglasses.
The colors were NOT reversed and it looked like one continuous double wide rainbow,
with two complete sets of colors.
I ruled out that the flip-ups where giving double vision as I looked at lights the next day,
streetlights headlights, etc. and no doubles!
Can this possibly be? Could a source of polarized light be at a different angle,
perhaps the sun shining through a cirrus cloud or noctelucent (sp).
Neal Rasmussen nealras1@airmail.net
Really never heard about polarised rainbow.. I will try to gather some more details and share it out soon..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands. ..."Michelangelo (1475-1564, Italian sculptor, painter, architect and poet)"

Jump to: