NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
October 25, 2014, 11:40:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
"Life is the beaty of art, heart, and humanity."...Wisdom
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: kepler orbit derivation  (Read 14591 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
PeterV

«
Embed this message
on: April 01, 2006, 12:11:18 am »

When solving the orbit equation you get the linear second order differential equation:

u¡¦¡¦ + u = k/(h^2) {eq1}

where u¡¦¡¦ is the second derivative of u with respect to theta and u is 1/r where r is the magnitude of the radius vector. Theta is a function of time. h is the angular momentum per unit mass. k= GM, k is the product of the universal gravitational constant G and the mass of the planet or sun M which is at the focus of the ellipse.

Solving this equation gives u = A*cos(theta) + B*sin(theta) {eq2} and one particular solution is u= k/(h^2) {eq3}.

I can manipulate u = A*cos(theta) + B*sin(theta) to get it as a single cosine in the form of R*cos(theta ¡V delta) {eq4} where R is a constant = root(A^2 + B^2) and delta = arctan(B/A).

But in the derivation of the orbit equation it is simply stated that taking eq2 and choosing axis so that B=0 and delta = 0 the solution is u = A*cos(theta) + k/(h^2).

Defining l = (h^2)/k and e= Al and solving for r we get r a function of theta = l/(1 +e*cos(theta) which is the equation of an ellipse in polars with the directrix right of the pole and parallel to the x axis, with e the eccentricity and l the = e*d where d is the distance from the directrix to the pole.

My question is how can I graph eq2 and just pick an axis so that B=0. I want to know how and why this works so that I can apply it to this and other scenarios if appropriate. In other words how do I justify its use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
"Life is the beaty of art, heart, and humanity."...Wisdom

Jump to: