NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
September 23, 2018, 01:57:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
"That their main business was not put into the mind knowledge which was not there before, but to turn the mind's eye towards light so that it might see for itself." ...Plato's advice to educators(429-347BC)
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intensity of reflected s-wave/p-wave  (Read 36023 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: March 17, 2006, 09:22:18 am »

This applet will calculate reflected and refracted light intensity according to the incident angle for p-wave and s-wave.
-*-

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!

Refraction satisfy Snell's law : n_1 \sin\theta_1=n_2\sin\theta_2

There are always reflected wave when light touch the boundary between two media.
The intensity for reflected wave \vec{E}'= r_s \vec{E}_s + r_p \vec{E}_p where \vec{E}_s, \vec{E}_p are electric field for s-wave and p-wave.
r_s= \frac{n_1\cos\theta_1 -n_2\cos\theta_2}{n_1\cos\theta_1 +n_2\cos\theta_2} =\frac{\sin(\theta_1-\theta_2)}{\sin(\theta_1+\theta_2)}
and
r_p=\frac{n_2\cos\theta_1-n_1\cos\theta_2}{n_2\cos\theta_1+n_1\cos\theta_2}=\frac{\tan(\theta_1-\theta_2)}{\tan(\theta_1+\theta_2)}
The intensity of refraction wave is the intensity of incident wave minus intensity of reflected wave.
There is no refracted wave when internal reflection occurs.
When \theta=\theta=0, the fraction of reflected wave is \frac{(n_1-n_2)^2}{(n_1+n_2)^2}.
for light from air(n=1) to glass (n=1.5), there are only \frac{(1-1.5)^2}{(1+1.5)^2}=\frac{0.5^2}{2.5^2}=\frac{1}{25}=4% light being reflected.

* emwaveboundary_2_20090116183127.gif (10.54 KB, 629x346 - viewed 616 times.)
minusquare

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 12:33:43 pm »

I downloaded and unzipped.But i am unable to open unzipped file.I can however view it online from your wesite.Please guide.
  Thanks.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 04:37:51 pm »

I just use "send to my email account" method, and open the file from my email message without any problem.
May be there is something wrong with your computer? Try to use another computer to check it again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
"That their main business was not put into the mind knowledge which was not there before, but to turn the mind's eye towards light so that it might see for itself." ...Plato's advice to educators(429-347BC)

Jump to: