NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
November 18, 2018, 07:56:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Youe can not help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. ..."Abraham Lincoln(1809-1865, US President 1861-1865"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: formation of wave  (Read 65591 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: December 26, 2005, 02:57:43 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

You can adjust the time delay between two springs(emulate strong or weak interaction between springs), this will affect the wave-speed.
Change the spring constant will change the frequency of virbration. (or frequency of wave)
There will be two sets of particles when k1 and k2 are not the same (emulate wave propage from one medium into another medium).
Because the wave-speed is the same, so those two waves have different wavelength.
The wavelength will be calculated and displayed when the simulation is paused.
-*-

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: March 01, 2007, 11:20:49 pm »

This is the image you will see when you click play button.

Later you will see something like the following:

Because there is a delay of spring response in the right direction, and the time delay is proportional to the distance
(The ratio of distance/time = wave speed). What we see is a wave motion.
When there is a time delay with resprect to spatial separation, that is wave.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:19:11 am » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

thanks for the great applets. However, I do not understand what is going on in "formation of wave
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=323.msg1028#msg1028
THere is a a spring, or set of springs at bottom of window. I do not understand your reference to two springs.
Thanks for any clarification you can offer.

There are set of springs in the above simulation. The simulation want to point out
if every element have the same behavior but there is a delay between elements (delay is proportional to the distance between elements), then it is a wave (you will find a wave).

All the above springs have the same up and down vibration behavior. However, each one of them start the vibration at different time. So we find a wave moving to the right.

Check out the water wave, wave move in a spring, sound wave, electromagnetic wave, ... etc.
All of the above waves, there exists the same behavior in each space point. But there is a delay between neighbor points.

Webster's dictionary defines a wave as "a disturbance or variation that transfers energy progressively from point to point in a medium and that may take the form of an elastic deformation or of a variation of pressure, electric or magnetic intensity, electric potential, or temperature."

The most important part of this definition is that a wave is a disturbance or variation which travels through a medium. The medium through which the wave travels may experience some local oscillations as the wave passes, but the particles in the medium to not travel with the wave. The disturbance may take any of a number of shapes, from a finite width pulse to an infinitely long sine wave.
The above message are quote from http://www.kettering.edu/~drussell/Demos/waves-intro/waves-intro.html

j142

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 06:02:14 pm »

Dear sir,

i have downloaded the latest version of java run time, but still i am not able to see the animation of this section. it shows error and opens java console on clicking on that.

can you help me?

thanks in advance
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:49:58 pm »

It seems that you can view simulation for Blocks and center of gravity
Can you view the above simulation now? Or do you still have the same problem.
Show me the error message in the java console if you need my help!
j142

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 01:12:04 pm »

yes, the problem resolved automatically.i can see all the simulations now.

thanks
rahulinhbz

«
Embed this message
Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 01:53:46 am » posted from:Ghaziabad,Uttar Pradesh,India

You can adjust the time delay between two springs, this will affect the wave-speed.
Change the spring constant will change the frequency of virbration. (or frequency of wave)
There will be two sets of particles when k1 and k2 are not the same.
Because the wave-speed is the same, so those two waves have different wavelength.
The wavelength will be calculated and displayed when you paused the simulation.
-*-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
Youe can not help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. ..."Abraham Lincoln(1809-1865, US President 1861-1865"

Jump to: