NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
October 24, 2017, 05:30:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
To live close to great minds is the best kind of education. ..."John Buchan (1875~1940 Scotticsh historian, Governor General of Canada)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Request for simulation: Relative Velocity in 2-Dimension  (Read 5067 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Kapambwe

«
Embed this message
on: September 12, 2015, 04:56:36 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Dear Sir,

I need you to help design a simulation that will enhance students conceptual understanding of relative velocity in 2-D. Studies and / or experience show that students have great difficulty in distinguishing velocity and relative velocity in 2-D. Consequently it becomes a rather difficult task for students to translate the information into correct vector diagrams and so perform vector addition and subtraction and / or use sine and cosine rules to solve triangles. Many students have difficulties in interpreting the language of vectors. For instance between the case when the wind is blowing "north" as contrasted to the wind blowing from "the north". The simulation will be used to teach this topic to introductory physics students at Mukuba University. I will appreciate if the design can be done, say, by early October.

regards/

kapambwe

Zambia 
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 08:54:26 am » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

I will be glad to help. However, could you describe in more detail what the simulation look like, what need to be shown and so on.
It will be helpful if you can upload a simple diagram.

Kapambwe

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 04:23:18 pm » posted from:REYKJAVIK,HOFUOBORGARSVAOIO,ICELAND

Hello sir!

Thanks for your quick response. Let me try and explain the details of the simulations. 1: simulation of how vectors(e.g velocities) in 2-D can be added and / or subtracted to find the resultant vector. For instance the simulation can depict velocities of two ships moving relative to each other; 2: Velocity of an aircraft in still air and relative to the wind blowing from some given direction; 3: simulation to distinguish between stationary and moving frames of reference; 4: simulation to show resolution of vectors; 4: use of bearing to locate positions. Anything along these lines. With your experience and expertise, you can see how this can be designed plus what you think can be necessary as long as we are dealing with relative velocity in 2-D for first year introductory physics students.

I will really appreciate if you can help design these simulations, say by end of October 2015 utmost. 

Regards/

Kapambwe

Zambia
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 07:08:05 am » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Have you seen the following simulation:
Relative Motion (frame of reference) and Cross a river with a boat

I will think about it and try to create one according to your need!
Kapambwe

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:40:57 am » posted from:-,-,ICELAND

Hello!

Thanks! I have seen the two simulations. But like you have put it try and create one according to my specifications. I will also use these ones.

Kind greetings/

Kapambwe
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 02:35:09 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

1: simulation of how vectors(e.g velocities) in 2-D can be added and / or subtracted to find the resultant vector. For instance the simulation can depict velocities of two ships moving relative to each other;

How about the following simulation.
You can drag to change velocity vectors and the relative velocity will be shown.

What need to be improved?

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
To live close to great minds is the best kind of education. ..."John Buchan (1875~1940 Scotticsh historian, Governor General of Canada)"

Jump to: