NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
September 02, 2014, 01:35:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the one most responsive to change." ..."Darwin(1809-1882, English naturalist Evolution)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Propagation of Electromagnetic Wave  (Read 485175 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #30 on: April 13, 2009, 11:32:30 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

You should be able to find the source code (attached file at the top message) now.
borlam

«
Embed this message
Reply #31 on: April 22, 2009, 12:28:05 am » posted from:Troy,New York,United States

Hello,

If the default (reset) value represents the speed of light in a vacuum, then does this applet let you increase the speed of light?  Also, is it physically possible to have B greater than E?  It seems to me that would only happen if light were slowed to less than 1 m/s.  I read that physicists have slowed it to as little as 17 m/s. Would something bizarre happen to the nature of light if B were greater than E? Or would that not matter from a physics perspective.

I am grateful for your help in my understanding. Thank you.

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #32 on: April 22, 2009, 04:07:24 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

Yes. For real electromagnetic wave in vacuum, the speed of light is 3*108m/s.
And the ratio of E/B=v.
There is no way to draw both E and B in the same simulation if the ratio of E/B=c.
And it is also impossible to show the wave proprgate as "REAL speed of light" in the simulation.
This is just a simulation, the purpose is to show the direction of E and the direction of B related to the propogation of the wave.  Wink
wanelson23

«
Embed this message
Reply #33 on: November 18, 2009, 03:15:35 pm » posted from:Södertälje,Stockholms Lan,Sweden

According to your model it appears that the electromagnetic wave is propagating in opposite directions simultaneously and therefore is it not so that the same photon could be detected in two different places at the same time (equal but opposite distances from the origin of the accelerating electron)? And how can the velocity of electromagnetic radiation point in two opposite directions at the same time since by definition a vector can only point in one direction?

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #34 on: November 18, 2009, 04:13:07 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

Actually, if electrons are moving as SHM in an antenna (for example: driven by an AC signal), the generated electromagnetic field should be distributed uniformly in all direction, i.e. EM wave should move in all radial direction (circular wave front moving outward from source).

However, I only draw EM wave in two opposite directions so that it will be easier to find out relation between electric field and magnetic field.
martin030

«
Embed this message
Reply #35 on: July 18, 2010, 02:27:34 am » posted from:Melbourne,Florida,United States

Thanks!  Nice simulation.
KathieKa

«
Embed this message
Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 02:46:57 pm » posted from:Ho Chi Minh City,Ho Chi Minh,Vietnam

Fantastic post cause in my language, i can not find much good source like this.This could aid lots of people find out about this matter. Do you want to incorporate video clips together with these? It could undoubtedly help out. Your reason was spot on and owing to you; I probably won't have to describe everything to my pals. I can simply direct them here. -*-
giant1211

«
Embed this message
Reply #37 on: August 01, 2012, 04:28:00 pm » posted from:Winter Park,Florida,United States

It looks like the head of the wave is creating new oscillations as it moves along, and that it is moving faster than the rest of the profile of the wave. Which speed is the speed of light, the head of the wave or the rest of the profile?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #38 on: August 01, 2012, 05:01:34 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

This siulation simulate a charged particle move in sine-wave y(t)=Y *sin(wt)

It generate wave move in x-direction -which is moving in constant speed (speed of electromagnetic wave or speed of light). 

Do not confuse the speed of charged particle and the speed of the generated wave.
giant1211

«
Embed this message
Reply #39 on: August 01, 2012, 11:40:21 pm » posted from:Winter Park,Florida,United States

But the wave seems to be both generated by the charged particle at the origin and and it also appears to be expanding at the head of the wave. If you were to take the charged particle out of the simulation at any time after t=0, it looks like the wave would still grow larger because the front of the wave is generating it's own oscillations and is moving faster than the rest of the profile. If you look at the simulation with the charged particle in place: after one period T, the wave is growing by 4pi as the both the front end and the back end of the wave seem to expand. This is where I am confused, if the front end were moving at the same speed as the rest of the profile then it would never have the speed to separate from the rest of the profile and expand the wave further. The front end of the wave would always be at the same phase. Thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 11:49:19 pm by giant1211 » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #40 on: August 03, 2012, 04:49:20 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

There is only one charged particle at the origin which is accelerated as sine-wave.
The oscillating charged particle will produce changing electric field, which in term induced magnetic field at the next instance.
The induced oscillating magnetic field re-generate electric field at the near space.
The above process continue and produce the electromagnetic field.

The EM wave move with constant speed in the x-direction in the above simulation. I am sorry that It give you wrong impression and make you confused. Sorry!
giant1211

«
Embed this message
Reply #41 on: August 07, 2012, 11:47:17 am » posted from:Winter Park,Florida,United States

Hi there, thank you for your response. I am still a little bit confused. I see that the particle produces a sine wave and emits the B and E fields as they are shown. When I thought of an E&M wave, I thought that the front end of the wave would always be at the same phase. It would be as if you drew a sine wave on a sheet of paper and just carried the sheet of paper in the x direction. And that sheet of paper (the profile of the wave) would travel forward in the x-direction at c. But now with this animation it looks as though the E&B field at the front of the wave are oscillating forward (expanding the profile), followed by the rest of the profile traveling behind. It would be as though I drew a sine wave on a sheet of paper, and continued drawing further on the paper as I walked in space (so that the profile itself is getting larger). Does this make sense? For that reason I'm confused at the two different speeds I see, the one of the entire profile moving and then the one of the front of the wave pulling away from the rest of the profile.
giant1211

«
Embed this message
Reply #42 on: August 07, 2012, 12:11:01 pm » posted from:Winter Park,Florida,United States

For instance, in this picture (http://universe-review.ca/I13-15-travelingwave.jpg). The front of the wave is at 0 phase and travels like that with the rest of the profile in the x-direction. I know that E&M waves do not necessarily need to start with 0 phase like mechanical waves, but this picture explains how I pictured the E&M waves to travel. The movement of the rest of your profile follows this behavior, it is just the very front of the wave (where it is oscillating the phase it is in) is confusing me. Thank you for helping me understand.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 12:12:51 pm by giant1211 » Logged
giant1211

«
Embed this message
Reply #43 on: August 08, 2012, 12:18:17 am » posted from:Winter Park,Florida,United States

such as this animation from this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubz-KmCecN8#t=41m05s
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #44 on: August 08, 2012, 07:02:58 am » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Thank you for your feedback and information provided!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, but the one most responsive to change." ..."Darwin(1809-1882, English naturalist Evolution)"

Jump to: