NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
July 31, 2014, 02:20:38 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Youe can not help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. ..."Abraham Lincoln(1809-1865, US President 1861-1865"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Common Emitter Amplifier Circuit  (Read 34941 times)
0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: February 26, 2011, 01:41:00 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

The following is a simulation for a Common Emitter Amplifier Circuit.

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!

The single stage common emitter amplifier circuit shown above uses what is commonly called "Voltage Divider Biasing". This type of biasing arrangement uses two resistors as a potential divider network and is commonly used in the design of bipolar transistor amplifier circuits. This method of biasing the transistor greatly Voltage Divider Network reduces the effects of varying Beta, ( β ) by holding the Base bias at a constant steady voltage level allowing for best stability. The quiescent Base voltage (Vb) is determined by the potential divider network formed by the two resistors, R1, R2 and the power supply voltage Vcc as shown with the current flowing through both resistors. Then the total resistance RT will be equal to R1 + R2 giving the current as i = Vcc/RT. The voltage level generated at the junction of resistors R1 and R2 holds the Base voltage (Vb) constant at a value below the supply voltage. Then the potential divider network used in the common emitter amplifier circuit divides the input signal in proportion to the resistance.
V_B=\frac{R2}{R1+R2}Vcc

Then V_{RE}=V_B-V_{BE} (assume V_{BE}=0.7V)
I_E=\frac{V_{BE}}{R_E}
and
I_E=I_C+I_B=(1+\beta) I_B
So I_C=\beta I_B=\frac{\beta}{1+\beta}I_E
Finally, V_{CE}=V_{cc}-V_{RL}-V_{RE}= V_{cc}-I_C R_L-I_E R_E>V_{sat}
(V_{sat}=0.2V)

You are welcomed to check out similar applet at Common Emitter Transistor Amplifier

* electronic_CEamplifier.jpg (20.58 KB, 669x384 - viewed 1396 times.)

* amp10.gif (28.22 KB, 504x553 - viewed 15363 times.)
moraein

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:45:33 pm » posted from:-,-,IRAN, ISLAMIC REPUBLIC OF

http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=2116.0

Hi i enjoyed with your simulation. very nice

I need Vcc=12 and Rl=10k .. can u do it for me ?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 11:10:58 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

You can adjust parameters with sliders from the simulated circuit. Try it!
You need to adjust R1 and R2. Cheesy
jn300

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:04:38 am » posted from:LONDON,ENGLAND,UNITED KINGDOM

Hi, I stumbled across this very useful simulation and it has helped me somewhat. I know this is slightly off topic to what you posted, but I was wondering how exactly do you determine individual component values for a common emitter circuit with only 2 variables given. vcc=12v and voltage gain being 10.

thank you
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
Youe can not help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves. ..."Abraham Lincoln(1809-1865, US President 1861-1865"

Jump to: