NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
July 17, 2018, 05:03:23 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood." ..."Marie Curie 1867-1934, Polish born French Physicist, Twice Nobel Prize Winner- Physics and Chemistry)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pendulum sets with different initial angle plus damping  (Read 10411 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: December 03, 2010, 09:08:38 am » posted from:,,Taiwan

This simulation show 11 pendulums with different initial angle(from minimum angle to minimum angle+angle range)
It can be run in two different modes:
1. \frac{d^2\theta}{dt}=-\frac{\ell}{g}\sin\theta-b\frac{d\theta}{dt} (equation for real pendulum)
2. \frac{d^2\theta}{dt}\approx-\frac{\ell}{g}\theta-b\frac{d\theta}{dt} (equation for small angle approximation :assume \sin\theta\approx\theta)

The damping factor b=0 is the default.
You can change it and find out what will happened.
For the second mode: the period and damping rate are the same for all pendulums. Do you know why?

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!

* pendulumdamping.jpg (19.09 KB, 859x360 - viewed 466 times.)
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 07:47:40 pm » posted from:,,Taiwan

For a mass m attached to a  spring with spring constant k
The force is proportional to the displacementx.
\vec{F}=-k*x
Assume there is a damping force which is proportional to the velocity
F=m\frac{d^2m}{dt^2}=-k*x-b*v
The above equation can be rewrite as m\frac{d^2m}{dt^2}+b \frac{dx}{dt}+k*x=0

Do you notice the similarity between equation for spring and pendulum set?
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:33:04 am » posted from:SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE

This simulation show 11 pendulums with different initial angle(from minimum angle to minimum angle+angle range)
1. \frac{d^2\theta}{dt}=-\frac{\ell}{g}\sin\theta-b\frac{d\theta}{dt} (equation for real pendulum)
this mode is demonstrate real pendulum swings at different period T for different magnitude of angle ϑ.
well done!
i like the view of all pendulum all superposition together.

2. \frac{d^2\theta}{dt}\approx-\frac{\ell}{g}\theta-b\frac{d\theta}{dt} (equation for small angle approximation :assume \sin\theta\approx\theta)
For the second mode: the period and damping factor are the same for all pendulums. Do you know why?

This is due to the small angle assumption say ϑ = 5 degree, the period T has to be the same for the all ϑ = 5 degree.

i don't understand the question on "damping factor are the same for all pendulums", if b = 0.5, it will be the same of all models of the pendulums because that is the way the model is made to obey this mathematical equation \frac{d^2\theta}{dt}\approx-\frac{\ell}{g}\theta-b\frac{d\theta}{dt} (equation for small angle approximation :assume \sin\theta\approx\theta).
is my interpretation of the question correct?

* 11pendulums.PNG (4.58 KB, 234x315 - viewed 450 times.)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 09:38:17 am by lookang » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:38:49 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

Why the angle \theta has to be smaller than 5 degree to be able to satisfy the small angle approximation?
Why 5.5 can not be a small angle? Does 5 a magic number???

i don't understand the question on "damping factor are the same for all pendulums"
What I mean is "The period and damping rate are the same for all pendulums."
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 11:02:55 am » posted from:SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE

Why the angle \theta has to be smaller than 5 degree to be able to satisfy the small angle approximation?
Why 5.5 can not be a small angle? Does 5 a magic number???

students can key in 5/180*PI = 0.08726
in radian mode, students can key in sin(5/180*PI) = 0.08715
the students can realise the approximation is accurate for 2 decimal place only.

students can key in 5.5/180*PI = 0.09599
in radian mode, students can key in sin(5.5/180*PI) = 0.09584
the students can realize the approximation is accurate for 2 decimal place only.

it is a balance between practically observably angle of oscillation and accuracy in approximation of the assumption of \frac{d^2\theta}{dt}\approx-\frac{\ell}{g}\theta-b\frac{d\theta}{dt}

i don't understand the question on "damping factor are the same for all pendulums"
What I mean is "The period and damping rate are the same for all pendulums."

ic damping rate.
then my earlier answer is acceptable? made to obey this mathematical equation?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 11:04:59 am by lookang » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 11:49:42 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

\sin\theta=\theta-\frac{\theta^3}{3!}+\frac{\theta^5}{5!}-\frac{\theta^7}{7!}+\frac{\theta^9}{9!}-\frac{\theta^{11}}{11!}+...
The error due to approximation can be estimated as \frac{\theta^3/3!}{\theta}=\frac{\theta^2}{6}
For 5 degree, the error is about \frac{(5\pi/180)^2}{6}=0.00127= 0.127% which is a very small error.
For 10 degree, the error is about 4*0.127%= 0.50%
For 20 degree, the error is about 16*0.127=2.0%

What I want to point out is:
1. 5 degree is not a magic number: user should provide the precission required in order to determined the maximum angle for good approximation.
2. Even 20 degree only produce 2% of error which is normally smaller than experiment error when student perform real experiment.

The solution for RLC circuit is: Q(t)=Q_0 e^{-\alpha t}e^{i\omega t}
where \alpha=\frac{R}{2L}, \omega=\sqrt{\frac{1}{LC}}
Because \alpha is independent of charge or current: i.e. damping rate is the same for the same R/L value.
You should be able to find out solution for pendulum(compare equations for RLC and pendumum set)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
"Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood." ..."Marie Curie 1867-1934, Polish born French Physicist, Twice Nobel Prize Winner- Physics and Chemistry)"

Jump to: