NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
September 19, 2018, 02:57:01 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
You cannot always have happiness but you can always give happiness. ..."Mother Teresa(1910-1997, Roman Catholic Missionary, 1979 Nobel Peace Prize)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newton's cradle  (Read 16769 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: October 10, 2010, 10:06:28 am » posted from:,,Taiwan

The following show animation for Newton's cradle

-*-

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!

* 200px-Newtons_cradle_animation_book_2.gif (569.7 KB, 200x150 - viewed 2569 times.)
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:11:12 am » posted from:,,Taiwan

The following is a real simulation of Newton's cradle (it does collision calculation between balls).

You can select an ID with slider, then change it's mass to check out what will happen when mass are not the same.
-*-

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!

However, the xml did not work properly with latest EJS. If you want to run it offline, please download the attached jar file.

The above two applets were created in 2008. But I only post it at my Chinese web site. 牛頓擺模擬動畫

*** There are 1 more attached files. You need to login to acces it!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 11:38:36 am » posted from:,,Taiwan

There is a better version : Ejs Open source Newton's Cradle java Applet by Paco customized by lookang
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:02:04 pm » posted from:Uberaba,Minas Gerais,Brazil

Hi prof Hwang
Have a way to organize sound to appear with movement in Newton's cradle java applet customized by lookang,
I would like to translation to portages version for publish.
But first i wish if have a way to organize sounds in applet for no mix students.
thanks prof 

mhmdkl

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 07:12:30 pm » posted from:Damascus,Dimashq,Syrian Arab Republic

hi
i wonder: how the energy transfers from ball to another?

and do balls vibration after period of time??how?

if put the newton's cradle in the water, what's happened?? and how it works in water?

and thanks Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:15:09 pm by mhmdkl » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 09:24:30 pm » posted from:,,Taiwan

Newton's  cradle are series of collision between two balls.
If the mass of all the balls are exactly the same, the energy will transfer from one side to another side (from one ball to the next one, ...). If the mass are not exactly the same , it is possible to cause all the ball moving (is this what you called vibration?)

if put the newton's cradle in the water, what's happened?? and how it works in water?
I would suggest you do the experiment and find out the ANSWER by yourself Wink.
mhmdkl

«
Embed this message
Reply #6 on: November 26, 2010, 10:42:34 pm » posted from:Damascus,Dimashq,Syrian Arab Republic

If the mass of all the balls are exactly the same, the energy will transfer from one side to another side (from one ball to the next one, ...).
yeah i know that ,but Is there a physical equation simulate the transfer of energy?? and how it can be programmed?? Smiley
If the mass are not exactly the same , it is possible to cause all the ball moving (is this what you called vibration?)
no, when i saw the lookang's project(newton's cradle) i saw the balls vibration after the period of time?how?

I would suggest you do the experiment and find out the ANSWER by yourself Wink.

ok i'll try Wink
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 09:41:37 am » posted from:,,Taiwan

You are welcomed to check out Collision between two pendulums or 1D collision : Conservation of Momentum

The velocity of two objects after collision (V'_1,V'_2)can be calculated from velocity before collisions (V_1,V_2) and mass of two objects (m_1,m_2).

From conservation of momentum
 m_1 V_1+m_2 V_2= m_1 V'_1+m_2 V'_2,
and conservation of energy \tfrac{1}{2}m_1V_1^2+\tfrac{1}{2}m_2V_2^2=\tfrac{1}{2}m_1V_1'^2+\tfrac{1}{2}m_2V_2'^2
So m_1 (V_1-V_1')=m_2(V_2'-V_2)
and \tfrac{1}{2}m_1 (V_1^2-V_1'^2)=\tfrac{1}{2}m_2 (V_2'^2-V_2^2), which means \tfrac{1}{2}m_1 (V_1-V_1')(V_1+V_1')=\tfrac{1}{2}m_2 (V_2'-V_2)(V_2'+V_2)
So V_1+V_1'=V_2'+V_2

i.e. The equation need to be solved are
m_1 V_1'+m_2 V_2'= m_1 V_1+m_2V_2 and V_2'-V_1'=V_2-V_1

The result is
V'_1= \frac{m_1-m_2}{m_1+m_2} V_1 +\frac{2m_2}{m_1+m_2}V_2=V_{cm}+\frac{m_2}{m_1+m_2}(V_2-V_1)=2V_{cm}-V_1
and V'_2=\frac{2m_1}{m_1+m_2}V_1+\frac{m_2-m_1}{m_2+m_1}V_2=V_{cm}+\frac{m_1}{m_1+m_2}(V_1-V_2)=2V_{cm}-V_2
where  V_{cm}=\frac{m_1V_1+m_2V_2}{m_1+m_2}

It means that V'_1-V_{cm} = - (V_1-V_{cm}) and V'_2-V_{cm}= - (V_2-V_{cm})
 or V'_{1cm}= -V_{1cm} and V'_{1cm}= -V_{1cm} where V'_{1cm}=V'_1-V_{cm} ...etc.
From the point of center of mass coordinate system: both particles bounce back with the same speed (relative to center of mass).
mhmdkl

«
Embed this message
Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 04:04:20 pm » posted from:Slobozia,Ialomita,Romania

where  V_{cm}=\frac{m_1V_1+m_2V_2}{m_1+m_2}

thanks
but what is Vcm? i didn't know it?

THE BALLS IN THE MIDDLE VIBRATE AFTER PERIOD OF TIME Huh WHYY?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:58:46 pm » posted from:,,Taiwan

V_{cm} is the velocity for the center of mass. Check out high school textbook or wikipedia.
THE BALLS IN THE MIDDLE VIBRATE AFTER PERIOD OF TIME
If you referer to the second simulation: It is due to numerical error in the simulation.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
You cannot always have happiness but you can always give happiness. ..."Mother Teresa(1910-1997, Roman Catholic Missionary, 1979 Nobel Peace Prize)"

Jump to: