NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
December 17, 2018, 07:45:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
"That their main business was not put into the mind knowledge which was not there before, but to turn the mind's eye towards light so that it might see for itself." ...Plato's advice to educators(429-347BC)
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Electron in magnetic field  (Read 52660 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: May 16, 2005, 03:09:01 pm »

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME

It is assumed there are uniform magnetic field in the simulation region except white background area (there is no magnetic field).
An electron enter magnetic field is not trapped in the magnetic field. It will come out the region eventually.

You can change charge/ mass /magnetic field and the width of the white region with sliders. Enjoy it!

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME
d211275

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 09:51:15 am » posted from:Suzhou,Jiangsu,China

Thanks alot.It's very useful for me.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 11:51:40 pm »

You are welcomed!
Gizmo0105

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 04:39:22 pm » posted from:ABERDEEN,SCOTLAND,UNITED KINGDOM

Hi, thanks a lot for the simulation its very helpful.

Im currently doing an investigation for school on electrons in magentic and electrostatic fields. However I cannot perform the most common investigation (Charge to mass ratio) as this is already in the course.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: September 27, 2007, 12:51:09 am »

For electron with charge q move in E and B field.
The force will be q (E+vXB)
If the acceleration is a, and mass is m, then

ma= q (E+vXB) ;
so a=(q/m) (E+vXB)

If you can measure acceleration(in any way). You will know the q/m ratio.
Ganeshchandra

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 06:33:22 pm »

thanks
basit_fastian

«
Embed this message
Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 11:41:47 am »

hi
thanks for this beautiful site and knowledge of physics keeping on the java aplet and this aplet give me a lot of knowledge to me about eletron in magnetic field.
Alfcon

«
Embed this message
Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:51:26 am » posted from:Melbourne,Victoria,Australia

I am new to all this and have just started to teach my self some of the basic aspects of Electrons and magnetic fields.  I have looked at your java program in the Topic: Electron in magnetic field, and I have a few questions.

Q = charge
m = mass
d = Magnetic field
b = ?

What does b represent ?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 08:32:26 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

B stands for magnetic field : there is a uniform magnetic field in most of the simulation region except region with white background.
d: is the width of the white back ground region where there is no magnetic field (B=0).

Try to change slider value and watch what is changed in the simulation.
Alfcon

«
Embed this message
Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:33:49 am » posted from:Melbourne,Victoria,Australia

ok got it now, one more question. 

If b is the magnetic field and i can be set from 1 to 10.

Is b set to 1 =  1 Tesla, b set to 10 = 10 Tesla?

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 02:40:41 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

This is a good question. Because you might reach a wrong interpreatation if you was not careful when chose unit for the ststem.

\vec{F}=q \vec{v}\times \vec{B} is used to calculate the motion in the simulation.
For a simulation, the same length in the simulation can be 1cm or 1m or 1km.
It depends on how you interprete the system.

In the above system, you can select the unit of B as Tesla, then the unit in space (x,y coordinate) will be meter, charge will be Coulomb. Unit for velocity will be m/s.

If you want to interprete it as a real electron:
qe=1.6 10-19 C, me=9.1 10-31kg.
m_e/q_e=5.69 10-12 kg/C,

If you want to interprete B as Tesla, then the unit of 1 second in the simulation represent 5.69 10-12s in real case. It means that the electron will move very fast. However, it can not be faster then speed of light c=3 108m/s (less than 0.01c will be fine to ignore relativistic effect), so the unit of length can not be meter(m). However, \mum (10-6m) can be used.

If the unit of B is selected as gauss (1 gauss=10-4 Tesla), then unit of length can be selected as mm (10-3m).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
"That their main business was not put into the mind knowledge which was not there before, but to turn the mind's eye towards light so that it might see for itself." ...Plato's advice to educators(429-347BC)

Jump to: