NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
November 01, 2014, 01:39:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
An interdisciplinary approach. ...Wisdom
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vernier Calipers  (Read 10120 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
on: May 10, 2010, 02:03:58 am » posted from:Ituverava,Sao Paulo,Brazil

Vernier Calipers
A caliper (British spelling also calliper) is a device used to measure the distance between two symmetrically opposing sides. A caliper can be as simple as a compass with inward or outward-facing points. The tips of the caliper are adjusted to fit across the points to be measured, the caliper is then removed and the distance read by measuring between the tips with a measuring tool, such as a ruler.
Nomenclature variants (colloquial only)
A plurale tantum sense of the word "calipers" coexists in natural usage with the regular noun sense of "caliper". That is, sometimes a caliper is treated cognitively like a pair of glasses or a pair of scissors, resulting in a phrase such as "hand me those calipers" or "those calipers are mine" in reference to one unit. However, this usage is mostly colloquial and the regular noun sense of caliper usually dominates, especially in writing. There is no rigorous grammatical logic to defend the plurale tantum sense; it is just the way language sometimes naturally flows colloquially.

Also existing colloquially but not in formal usage is referring to a vernier caliper as a "vernier".

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!

* Vernier Calipers.jpg (16.19 KB, 662x304 - viewed 288 times.)
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:06:40 am » posted from:Ituverava,Sao Paulo,Brazil

History
The earliest caliper has been found in the Greek Giglio wreck near the Italian coast. The ship find dates to the 6th century BC. The wooden piece already featured a fixed and a movable jaw. Although rare finds, caliper remained in use by the Greeks and Romans.

By the Han Dynasty (202 BC – 220 AD), the Chinese also used the sliding caliper, which they made of bronze and manufactured each tool with an inscription of the day, month, and year it was made (according to Chinese era names and their lunar calendar).

The modern vernier caliper, reading to thousandths of an inch, was invented by American Joseph R. Brown in 1851. His Brown and Sharpe company inaugurated true precision manufacture in the United States. It was the first practical tool for exact measurements that could be sold at a price within the reach of ordinary machinists.

* -Messschieber.jpg (10.61 KB, 220x220 - viewed 186 times.)
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 07:46:31 am » posted from:SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE

Hi ahmedelshfie

for your consideration

1. missinganswerfortopjaws.png, check the text for answer for top jaws in missing.

2. always quote your source, i think you got the compadre version? 
http://www.compadre.org/osp/items/detail.cfm?ID=9707 written by Fu-Kwun Hwang
edited by Loo Kang WEE and Wolfgang Christian

by the way,
the Ejs open source Vernier calipers java applet with objects, help & 0-error logic
http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=684.0

is my latest vernier caliper, i like the input field a lot, check it out! Grin

* missinganswerfortopjaws.png (10.87 KB, 598x326 - viewed 154 times.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 07:48:05 am by lookang » Logged
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:04:14 am » posted from:Uberaba,Minas Gerais,Brazil

Yes prof i know that i had the first version that written by Fu-Kwun Hwang
Edited by Loo Kang WEE and Wolfgang Christian
URL http://www.compadre.org/osp/items/detail.cfm?ID=9707
I see the latest version from Vernier Calipers that you edit is
Very interesting more tools and options
And thank you about shown me my missing Wink
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:09:35 am by ahmedelshfie » Logged
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 01:12:40 am » posted from:SAO PAULO,SAO PAULO,BRAZIL

This a new version from Vernier Calipers
Found too on  Vernier Calipers !

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:22:44 am » posted from:Uberaba,Minas Gerais,Brazil

Here is a flash SWF movie about Vernier Calipers, explain completely all cases of Vernier Calipers .
Enjoy!
To access SWF flash please click the following URL http://www.as7abigate.com/Measuring_Tools.swf-*-

* Vernier Calipers.gif (33.89 KB, 599x596 - viewed 564 times.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
An interdisciplinary approach. ...Wisdom

Jump to: