NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
October 19, 2017, 06:10:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
First time is the lat time. ...Wisdom
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: torsional wave  (Read 9067 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: June 17, 2009, 10:12:40 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

The fllowing simulation was created due to the following request:
Hello Fu- Kwun Hwang

I would like to introduce myself; I am a metalwork sculptor living in Sheffield, England and came across your wonderful animated pendulum simulations on the COLOS website while researching a current project. This project involves the creation of a kinetic artwork based on a human powered 'wave" intended to mimic the effect of the 'Mexican waves' seen in sports stadiums around the world.

After seeing your computer simulations I would be very interested in talking to you about your work and hope you could help me with the mathematics of achieving the effect I am trying to create.

My own background is as an artist and metalworker and although I do not have a science back ground I enjoy the application of science in my art.

I have made a 1:20 Scale model and achieved the 'Wave' effect I wanted with the model suspended in air. To progress things further I am trying to find somebody who can help me with the mathematics so i can produce working drawings and create kinetic artwork for a freshwater pool in a Lancashire quarry in the UK; (For further information - see attached file - echofly 2.pdf )

I understand this may not be your normal line of work, but if it is of interest?; I can send you more information and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss it with you in more detail.

Kind regards Robin Dobson
-*-

The angle for each one is c_i, which is a function of time t.
The restore torque is assume to be k*(c_{i+1}-c_i)-k*(c_i-c_{i-1})=k*(c_{i+1}+c_{i-1}-2*c_i),
The torque due to gravitation force is m*g*h*\sin(c_i)/I, where  I is the moment of rotational inertia.
A damping torque -b*\omega_i is also added, where \omega_i=\frac{d c_i}{dt}

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 11:03:07 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

Here is another version of torsional wave (demostration)

Change the c angle with slider and watch how wave propagate.
The slider for i can be used to change angle for i-th element.

The force acting on each element is
F_i= K* c_i + K_ij * (c_{i+1}-c_i)+K_ij (c_i-c_{i-1})-b*\omega_i
where c_i is the i-th angle, \omega_i is the angular velocity, b is damping constant, K_ij represent interaction between elements.

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
First time is the lat time. ...Wisdom

Jump to: