NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
June 27, 2017, 12:24:52 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Life is an inspiration. ..."Mahatma Gandhi(1869-1984, The greatest leader of modern India)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Power Loss in electric power transmission network .. V^2/R OR I^2*R?/board:37-100-  (Read 39219 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
hengleng

«
Embed this message
on: March 08, 2010, 05:53:28 pm »

I understand that in an electric power transmission network, the power loss in the transmission line is given by Ploss = I^2R.Hence if we transmit electricity at high voltage, current I is reduced and hence Ploss is reduced.

But Ohm's law states that V = IR.
So if I were to substitute this into the Ploss equation above, I end up with Ploss = V^2/R.  Which means if the voltage is higher, the Ploss would be higher.

Do these seem conflicting?

I appreciate your help to reconcile this.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Lim Heng Leng
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:29:49 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

To delieve electric power to the user, a transmission line is needed.
The power loss is due to the resistor(e.g. r=1.0Ω in the above picture) from the transmission line.

P\equiv IV , It can be re-write as P=I V =I_R (I_R R)=I_R^2 R orP=IV=\frac{V_R}{R}V=\frac{V_R^2}{R}
However, you need to use the voltage across the resistor V_R or the current flow through the resistor I_R.

If you want to calculate the power loss of the transmission line with P=V_t^2/R,
then the voltage should be the voltage from the transmission line (not the total voltage).
It is not the same as the voltage from the power plant.

From the above picture:
The source voltage is V, the resistor of the transmission line is r=1.0Ω, and the resistor of the transformer is 99Ω. So the voltage on the transmission line is only V_t=V \frac{r}{r+R}=V\frac{1}{1+99} =\frac{V}{100}.

For the transmission line, the resistor from the transform will change according to voltage ratio between transformer. It is not a constant so a simulation was created to help you understand it.
The power loss can be calculated from P_{loss}=I_r V_r= I_r^2 r and The power delivered P=I_r V
P_{loss}=I_r^2 r=(\frac{P}{V})^2 r= \frac{P^2}{V^2}r
And the percentage of power loss can be calculated as \frac{P_{loss}}{P}= \frac{P }{V^2}r
which is inverse proportional to V^2

Please check out Why we need High Voltage Transmission Line

Shahin1990

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: October 14, 2016, 06:41:10 pm » posted from:Neubiberg,Bayern,Germany

Hi,

Could you please tell me from which software you took that picture. and where I can get it ?

thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
Life is an inspiration. ..."Mahatma Gandhi(1869-1984, The greatest leader of modern India)"

Jump to: