NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
November 28, 2014, 01:41:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Wisdom consists of the anticipation of consequences. ..."Norman Cousins(1913-1990, American author)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reaction time measurement  (Read 491300 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
mitul009

«
Embed this message
Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 12:06:46 am » posted from:Dhaka,Dhaka,Bangladesh

This is a very useful post. Thanks for sharing.

-*-
redheadnraw

«
Embed this message
Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 05:25:53 am » posted from:Wadsworth,Ohio,United States

Dr. Hwang,
There seems to be a problem with your calculator at the bottom of your post.  When I change it from km/h to m/h, the Dbrake amount stays the same, even though it should be higher because it is supposed to change from meters to feet.  This is not a huge problem, but it is probably worth fixing.  Thank you for all of your help and posts Cheesy
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #32 on: February 14, 2010, 12:45:45 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

If you just change the unit, the number in front of the unit changes,too!
For example: 72km/h equal to 20 m/s, that is why the braking distance is the same.

You need to change the number in the text field (to differnt velue) to find different braking distance.
redheadnraw

«
Embed this message
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2010, 11:22:14 pm » posted from:Wadsworth,Ohio,United States

I see that i wasn't exactly clear.  I meat from kilometers per hour to miles per hour.  Every other number in the equation shifts to become feet, but the Dbrake stays the same.  For example, if I set the calculator to read 72 kilometers per hour, the Dbrake reads 20 meters, but if I change 72 kilometers to 45 miles per hour, the Dbrake reads 20 feet.  That number should go up because feet are smaller than meters.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2010, 11:48:11 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

I understand what you mean now.
The simulation allow user to change the unit for initial velocity(km/h, m/s or mile/h).
However, the braking distances and the distance due to reaction time are all expressed in meter.
The braking distance is 25.51m when the friction coefficient is 0.8

The mile/h was added due to request from one of the user, so I added that item in the selection list.
But I did not change the unit in the simulation from m to ft. That is why the number is the same, if you just changh the unit.

I just found out from the code that there are two parameters for the applet
Code:
<param name="european" value="no">
<param name="feet" value="no">
The "." in the displayed number field will be switched to "," if the value for "european" is changed to "yes".
And the unit in the simulation will be changed from "m" to "ft" if the value for "feet" is changed to "yes",too.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:51 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

I just modified the code (again) so that it will automatically diaplay in unit of "ft" when "mile/h" were selected, and switch back to "m" when others were selected. But the scale at the left side is not changed.
redheadnraw

«
Embed this message
Reply #36 on: February 17, 2010, 07:20:47 am » posted from:Wadsworth,Ohio,United States

Thank you  Smiley.  you do some good work and are prompt.  Thanks very much!
jimmy-law

«
Embed this message
Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 12:24:36 am » posted from:Gurgaon,Haryana,India

really great effort by Fu-Kwun Hwang can i get updates on that
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #38 on: May 16, 2010, 11:24:02 am » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

really great effort by Fu-Kwun Hwang can i get updates on that
Do you mean that you need the source code? It is available as attached file under the first message.

You are welcomed to check out EJS verasion of Reaction time measurement
ahmedelshfie
Ahmed

«
Embed this message
Reply #39 on: May 30, 2011, 07:26:54 pm » posted from:SAO PAULO,SAO PAULO,BRAZIL

Hi prof,
Error applet don't loading!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #40 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:01 am » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

I just tried it. It works fine.
It seems to be a problem from your browser.
May be you need to re-start your browser or ...?

You might want to check out EJS version of the same simulation: Reaction time measurement
arame08

«
Embed this message
Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 11:50:37 am » posted from:Sylhet,Sylhet,Bangladesh

I was the problem or rather my name. It contains an unusual Danish character (ø) and this means that when I save your applet to a folder in my documents all path-names will contain this unusual character. But the applet cannot handle unusual characters in path names. I moved the applet to the root-directory (C:\) and all problems disappeared.
jpm1999

«
Embed this message
Reply #42 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19:09 am » posted from:Brooklyn,New York,United States

Hi,
I'm trying to use your reaction time measurement applet offline but it registers as corrupt.  I have tried other jar files and they work fine.  I also downloaded it several times from different browser formats and tried opening it with different zip programs.  What can I  do?  I think the applet is great and would like to use it in class Monday.

Thanks,
Jo
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #43 on: September 30, 2011, 04:32:38 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

I just download it (Reaction.zip) without any problem.
You need to unzip it (It was fine when I unzio the file).
Then you can use browser to open ReactionTime.html or Reaction_de_xxx.html for different language version.
Please try it again!
TONUSSARKAR

15 UFO
«
Embed this message
Reply #44 on: November 04, 2012, 06:04:16 pm » posted from:Dhaka,Dhaka,Bangladesh

Our goal is to both inform and entertain you with thoughts that provoke the age old question of “what if”.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  
Wisdom consists of the anticipation of consequences. ..."Norman Cousins(1913-1990, American author)"

Jump to: