NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
April 21, 2014, 02:01:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
The most important medicine is tender love and care. ..."Mother Teresa(1910-1997, Roman Catholic Missionary, 1979 Nobel Peace Prize)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transverse Wave and Longitudinal Wave  (Read 267451 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: January 29, 2004, 05:47:37 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME
There are 21 translations,
Higher number at the end means more translation been done.
or

This java applet let you visualize the difference between transverse wave and longitudinal wave.
 You will find both moving wave and standing wave.

Usage :
1. You can view transverse wave or longitudinal wave from the above selection.
2. Those blue lines on the left are dispacements relative to the equilibrium point, while those red lines on the right are relate to velocity of wave medium at those points.
3. The distance between two circle dots are 0.5 wavelength. (moving out of phase)
   Click and drag left mouse button to move them horizontally but keep the same distances.
   Click the right mouse button to locate position for one of the black dot,
   drag the right mouse button to position the second one.
   The distance between dots will be shown in unit of wavelength.
 4. Click the right mouse button and release it at the same location to toggle the animation.

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME
There are 21 translations,
Higher number at the end means more translation been done.
or

*** There are 1 more attached files. You need to login to acces it!
«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 11:48:06 am » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Subject:
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 23:05:21 +0100
To: <hwang@phy03.phy.ntnu.edu.tw>
I have found the tansverse and longitudinal waves. They are excellent,
exactly what is needed. Being able to show the the phases of particles
relative to each other is very useful.
I will be able to direct my students to your site so they can see for
themselves.
Once again thank you for your efforts the results are most pleasing.
Mr.A.E.Vinters.
Rishworth School
3 hi
«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2004, 04:38:42 pm »

no
4 thanks
«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 12:40:05 am »

my name is nabeel razzaq......my A level physics exam is tomorrow morning....i discovered this site right now....and i swear it been a great help to me...now i am comfortable i know many things....my concepts are clear....thank you to how ever made this site.....high regards for him.... Tongue
«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 10:11:58 pm »

[quote:b36c9c9c8f="nabeel"]my name is nabeel razzaq......my A level physics exam is tomorrow morning....i discovered this site right now....and i swear it been a great help to me...now i am comfortable i know many things....my concepts are clear....thank you to how ever made this site.....high regards for him.... Tongue
Patrick Roche
Lecturer

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 02:37:57 am »

I would very much appreciate getting the code for the transverse/longitudinal wave applet.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 07:15:26 am »

You should have received it at your email account! However it was written many years ago with JDK1.0.2.
chfahlke
Professor of Physiology

«
Embed this message
Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 06:00:37 pm » posted from:Hanover,Niedersachsen,Germany

Dear Dr Hwang,
I would very much appreciate getting the code for the transverse/longitudinal wave applet.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely yours,
Christoph Fahlke
abdalla

«
Embed this message
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 01:37:08 am »

thanks Huh amazing :lol:
royfairs

10 topic14
«
Embed this message
Reply #9 on: December 12, 2006, 08:33:17 pm »

As a physics teacher of some 32 years I find this site has a compact collection of a lot of the demos I've used in a compact format. Well done. Is there any simple book that can be used to develop futher ones?

Thanx & rgds Roy

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

11 topic14
«
Embed this message
Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 10:01:58 pm »

Some of the applets are created almost 8-10 years ago with JDK1.0.2.

However, there are many recently generated simulaton were build by a tool called Easy Java Simulation.

You can find out article about EJS from Easy java simulation (Download and related informations)

You can find a book about EJS from Paco's web site. (Author of EJS)

And you should be able to download all the simulation when you login to the system.

Fu-Kwun :-)
Rennaman

«
Embed this message
Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 05:19:13 am »

I just found this website. Thank you for taking the time to create it and make it available to teachers and students. I plan to use it in a lesson on waves this week!

Dave Menshew, M.A.Ed. NBCT
Lead Teacher, James C. Enochs High School
Forensic Biotech Career Pathway Program
rajettan

«
Embed this message
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 07:14:11 am »

your explanation and animations are great.but one doubt.why light is transverse?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 09:34:33 pm »

You can say it is the law of nature.
I do not know if you can accept the following explanation:

Light is electro-magnetic wave. It is the change of electric field which cause the magnetic field produced at near by space (the direction of induced magnetic field is perpendicular to electric field).
And the change of magnetic cause the electric field produced at near by space(the direction of induced electric field is perpendicular to the magnetic field).
Think about the direction of electric/magnetic flux and you will know the distribution of induced magnetic/electric field. 
And the above continuous process is what we called wave.
From the definition: we know it is a transverse wave. (I use other laws: Faradays's law etc. to explain the direction between E and B field)
Try to draw it by yourself on a piece of paper or look at it more closely at the simulation itself.
deb

«
Embed this message
Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 11:41:33 pm »

This java applet let you visualize the difference between transverse wave and longitudinal wave.
 You will find both moving wave and standing wave.
<applet width="520" height="180" codebase="/java/waveType/" code="waveType.class"><param name="twave" value="transverse wave"><param name="lwave" value="longitudinal wave"><param name="shead" value="distance between dots = "><param name="unit" value=" wavelength"></applet>

Usage :
1. You can view transverse wave or longitudinal wave from the above selection.
2. Those blue lines on the left are dispacements relative to the equilibrium point, while those red lines on the right are relate to velocity of wave medium at those points.
3. The distance between two circle dots are 0.5 wavelength. (moving out of phase)
   Click and drag left mouse button to move them horizontally but keep the same distances.
   Click the right mouse button to locate position for one of the black dot,
   drag the right mouse button to position the second one.
   The distance between dots will be shown in unit of wavelength.
 4. Click the right mouse button and release it at the same location to toggle the animation.
The article is very useful for my studies,thanks
Solar

«
Embed this message
Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 08:36:38 pm » posted from:Stuttgart,Baden-Wurttemberg,Germany

Great simulation.
I have a question about waves.
I would like to know how can I calculate the value of the energy needed to make the "next" particle with a mass m in a string to start to oscillate. The wave for example is transverse.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #16 on: October 28, 2008, 04:20:46 pm » posted from:Taipei,T'ai-pei,Taiwan

For a wave to continue spread out, you will need to supply energy continuously.
 dK= (1/2) (dm)*v2 =(1/2)* e*dx*v2
where e is the density per unit length.
P=dk/dt= (1/2)* e*dx/dt*v2= (1/2)*e*u *v2  (The power need to be supplied)
where u is the speed of the wave.
Because v is a function of time v=vo*sim(w*t), average of v2 will give you (1/2)vo2 and you will find average power.
nrgtik

«
Embed this message
Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 08:16:35 am »

First, I would like to thank you, Mr Hwang, about the animation concerning the longitudinal and transverse waves. Even after almost 5 years this animation made me understanding easily the difference between these two types of waves.

I am interested in standing longitudinal wave and I would like to model numerically what happens (pressure temperature and velocity) inside a one-end closed tube.

If it is possible, could you please clarify me how can I proceed to reach my objective and which equations shall I use.

Thank you again for your kind help.

Best regards
lookang

http://weelookang.blogspot.com

«
Embed this message
Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 10:41:30 am » posted from:-,-,SINGAPORE

using a wave function plotter, i happen to know for transverse traveling wave the formula is

transverse wave

U(x,t) = Uo*sin(w*x-t)  for right traveling wave

for stationary wave

U(x,t) = sin(t)*Uo*sin(w*x)
or
U(x,t) = Uo*sin(w*x-t)  +Uo*sin(w*x+t) 

for longitudinal wave

each particle is doing a motion U(x,t) = Uo*sin(w*x-t)  about it's own equlibrium with each obeying Uo*sin(w*x-t)

i did by  _view.trail.addPoint(x+0.9*u,0);

if you line them it will appear to be a longitudinal traveling wave

for stationary longitudinal wave
i suspect adding
U(x,t) = Uo*sin(w*x-t)  +Uo*sin(w*x+t) 
will work.

but i am not sure if it is pressure, will the equation need to differentiate? testing now

i await Prof hwang to reply
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 07:50:36 am by lookang » Logged
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #19 on: January 29, 2009, 10:34:50 am »

I am interested in standing longitudinal wave and I would like to model numerically what happens (pressure temperature and velocity) inside a one-end closed tube.

Sound wave is a pressure wave. Please write down in more detail:
1. temperature: do you mean temperature of the air? Temperature is a global quantity (average of kinetic energy of gas).
what do you mean by you want to model it numerically?
2. What is the velocity you are talking about? wave velocity? ...?
ferrari

«
Embed this message
Reply #20 on: November 06, 2009, 04:49:15 am » posted from:Palm Coast,Florida,United States

Can you tell me what metals have the greatest reflectivity properties for transverse and longitudinal waves.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #21 on: November 06, 2009, 08:00:53 am » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

When wave propagate from one media to another media,
 i.e. wave has different index of refraction (or wave speed is different in two different media),
then some wave will be reflected.
The closer the index of refraction, the less amount of wave will be reflected under the same conditions.
If you want more wave to be reflected, you need to find larger differences in index of refraction between two media.

For electromagnetic wave (or light), metal with better conductivity will has better reflectivity.
neetusharma

«
Embed this message
Reply #22 on: November 07, 2009, 02:09:03 pm » posted from:New Delhi,Delhi,India

Good thing here to educate people on this but I think more than this is the translation in 16 languages that you have done.This increases the reach of this writeup.Good Smiley
Boomi

«
Embed this message
Reply #23 on: April 30, 2010, 02:57:42 pm » posted from:Karachi,Sindh,Pakistan

I 100% agree with you
mr_phys12

«
Embed this message
Reply #24 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:59 pm » posted from:Oroquieta,Oroquieta,Philippines

Rest assured that I will spread physics mania to my students through this java applet..Thank's to you for sharing your expertise...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
The most important medicine is tender love and care. ..."Mother Teresa(1910-1997, Roman Catholic Missionary, 1979 Nobel Peace Prize)"

Jump to: