NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory
Enjoy the fun of physics with simulations!
Backup site http://enjoy.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/
August 16, 2017, 10:22:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. Complete the mission of life. ..."Beethoven (1770-1827, German composer)"
Google Bookmarks Yahoo My Web MSN Live Netscape Del.icio.us FURL Stumble Upon Delirious Ask FaceBook

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Transverse Traveling Wave  (Read 145867 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Click to toggle author information(expand message area).
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
on: January 29, 2004, 05:44:51 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME
There are 6 translations,
Higher number at the end means more translation been done.
or

In traveling wave, energy is propogated in a definite direction and with a definite speed.
 If we whip one end of a rope back and forth, a traveling wave moves down the rope.
 The intriguing feature of this wave is that all the actual motion is tranverse to the overall alignment of the rope.
Think of a wave formed by a crown in a stadium, in which each spectator successively moves his or her arms up and down in response to a neighbor's motion, propagating a wave around the stadium perpendicular to the direction of the arm motion,
The wave travels from one side of the stadium to the other side much faster than any spectator could.

Usage¡G
  Green line: displacement from the equilibrium point.
  Yellow line: velocity of the medium
  Red line : acceleration
  Move the mouse to change the observed points.

Registed user can get files related to this applet for offline access.
Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
If java program did not show up, please download and install latest Java RUN TIME
There are 6 translations,
Higher number at the end means more translation been done.
or
mma943

: 1 users think this message is good
2 Thanks
«
Embed this message
Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 10:26:23 pm »

ÔßÑÇ ÌÒíáÇ

æÓÄÇáí åæ ãÇÐÇ ÊãËá ÇáßæÑ ÇáÓæÏÇÁ ÇáãÊÍÑßÉ åá ÊãËá ÌÒíÆÇÊ ÇáæÓØ ¿

æÅÐÇ ßÇäÊ ßÐáß ÝáãÇÐÇ ÊÊÍÑß ÚßÓ ÅÊÌÇå ÅäÊÔÇÑ ÇáãæÌå

Ajai Sadasivan

«
Embed this message
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009, 07:59:09 pm » posted from:Male,Male,Maldives

sir can u sent this applet (Transverse Travelling wave)  for off line use.
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2009, 11:00:23 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

What you need to do is clcik the "get file for offline use" button to get files you need.
davelliott

«
Embed this message
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:10:04 pm » posted from:North Shields,Northumberland,United Kingdom

Hi, love this simulation, thanks very much Smiley. Unfortunately when I try to download a version using the download button I receive a 'superposition of pulses' animation (wave.zip). Would it be possible to send me the 'transverse travelling wave' animation some how, or advise me where I might be going wrong?
Thanks for your help and hard work,
Dave
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 09:31:58 pm » posted from:Taipei,T\'ai-pei,Taiwan

The wave.zip contains more than one simulation.
Unzip wave.zip and open wave.html with your browser if you want to see the simulation in the first message.
davelliott

«
Embed this message
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 10:05:00 pm » posted from:North Shields,Northumberland,United Kingdom

Great, thanks again  Smiley
shanader

«
Embed this message
Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:31:08 pm » posted from:Makati,Manila,Philippines

How do waves travel?
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 04:36:49 pm » posted from:,,Taiwan

It is depends on what kind of wave you are talking about.

Source wave: Due to pressure change so the particle move and produce another pressure change near by, so cause near by particle move,.... it is a cycle but the influence propagate to naer by position as time moves on.

Light (electromagnetic field):
 changing electric field produce magnetic field change at near by space ,
 changing magnetic field procude electric field change at near by space,
 the above process continue , and the EM wave propagate in space.
shanader

«
Embed this message
Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 04:39:44 pm » posted from:Makati,Manila,Philippines

In traveling wave, energy is propogated in a definite direction and with a definite speed.
 If we whip one end of a rope back and forth, a traveling wave moves down the rope.
 The intriguing feature of this wave is that all the actual motion is tranverse to the overall alignment of the rope.
Think of a wave formed by a crown in a stadium, in which each spectator successively moves his or her arms up and down in response to a neighbor's motion, propagating a wave around the stadium perpendicular to the direction of the arm motion,
The wave travels from one side of the stadium to the other side much faster than any spectator could.
<center><applet code="wave.class" width=500 height=340 codebase="/java/wave/"><param name="Time" value="t="><param name="Lamda" value="lamda"><param name="Period" value="period"></applet></center>
Usage¡G
   Green line: displacement from the equilibrium point.
   Yellow line: velocity of the medium
   Red line : acceleration
  Move the mouse to change the observed points.

The waves is really cool
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 04:42:21 pm by shanader » Logged
DarrylMucci
watchlist

«
Embed this message
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 10:23:39 pm » posted from:Bacolod,Bacolod,Philippines

Traveling wave is just like our life were sometimes is becomes up and down.

-*-
medicine

«
Embed this message
Reply #11 on: December 09, 2010, 02:21:27 pm » posted from:Mazor,HaMerkaz,Israel

thanx>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Grin
franklin.christensen
watchlist

«
Embed this message
Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:11:21 pm » posted from:Manila,Manila,Philippines

This article was very well written,You have done a brilliant job.The both of us really enjoyed your article.It appears like you’ve put a lot of effort into your article and the human race need much more of these on the net these days. I do not real have a large deal to say in report.I just wanted to comment to tell well done.Marvelous post.I never thought of that.
-*-

elim

«
Embed this message
Reply #13 on: July 17, 2014, 03:42:36 am » posted from:SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE,SINGAPORE

Hi,

I am new towards using EJS. I would like to know how can I make a simulation of a transverse wave with the following features to show a group of students who are learning waves motion for the first time and have no idea of sine or cosine function. Hopefully, they can play with the simulation.

In the beginning of simulation, I hope to show a string of N particles,  (hope that the number can vary by an input box) horizontally.
Something similar to this
http://homepages.ius.edu/kforinas/S/WaveType1.html

I would like to show if the first particle is "pulled up or down", the string of N particles would be set in vibration one by one like a transverse wave.

I also would like to show when all the particles are set in vibration up and down, I can select any of the particles to follow the up and down motion. When I pause the simulation, I also hope that can show where is the selected particle a few time steps backward and forward. It would be better if the simulation can show the positions of all the particles a few time steps backward and forward, so that I can explain the motion.

If period, wavelength and amplitude can vary, it would be even be better. But I think I can add these features.

I hope someone can be kind enough to guide me how to make this simulation using ejs or provide me a working basics skeleton that I can work on it. I cannot figure out how to input something like this into the evolution page of the Model. I can create a string of particles.

Any help or suggestion is appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers.

Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #14 on: July 17, 2014, 10:20:19 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

If you want to learn how to create it by yourself.
You can check out http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=323.0
Download it and check out my source code in EJS.

Please do not hesitate to ask any question you might have, I will try to help!

I can help to create one for you if you ask for it!
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 07:59:03 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

I have create a simulation according to your requirement above.
I hope it is what you want. Enjoy it!

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
elim

«
Embed this message
Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 12:32:57 am »

I have create a simulation according to your requirement above.
I hope it is what you want. Enjoy it!

Dear Dr Hwang,

Thank for taking the time to make the simulation. I would look into the simulation in more detail. When I "play" with the simulation online, it quite enjoy your work. However, there is still something missing.
The missing parts are
- I do not seem have an option to make the particle start with a negative velocity showing that the string of particle can be pulled down.
- I also hope to show where are all the particles when it is a few times steps backward or forward when I pause the simulation.
I would look into the source to see if it can be added more features.
I like your dt2 option - it is very useful.

I would post my questions in after a few days. Once again thanks for the simulation.

Cheers
Fu-Kwun Hwang
Administrator

«
Embed this message
Reply #17 on: July 21, 2014, 09:43:39 am »

I have modified the above simulation and make a new one.
Please click

Embed a running copy of this simulation

Embed a running copy link(show simulation in a popuped window)
Full screen applet or Problem viewing java?Add http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ to exception site list
Press the Alt key and the left mouse button to drag the applet off the browser and onto the desktop. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 Taiwan License
  • Please feel free to post your ideas about how to use the simulation for better teaching and learning.
  • Post questions to be asked to help students to think, to explore.
  • Upload worksheets as attached files to share with more users.
Let's work together. We can help more users understand physics conceptually and enjoy the fun of learning physics!
to view the new version.
I hope it is what you want. (You need to click the - checkbox to make the particle being pulled down.
All the particles will have ghost particles a few times steps backward or forward (you need to change dt2 to see the difference)
marlyn345

«
Embed this message
Reply #18 on: July 27, 2014, 04:51:59 am » posted from:New York,New York,United States

it's look good
diinxcom
watchlist

Designer

«
Embed this message
Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 05:34:49 pm » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

-*-
Great post Smiley thanks...
jhontor
watchlist

«
Embed this message
Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 08:42:36 am » posted from:,,Satellite Provider

I have modified the above simulation and make a new one.
Please click
[ejsapplet]
to view the new version.
I hope it is what you want. (You need to click the - checkbox to make the particle being pulled down.
All the particles will have ghost particles a few times steps backward or forward (you need to change dt2 to see the difference)

thanks for the simulation.

-*-
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy. Complete the mission of life. ..."Beethoven (1770-1827, German composer)"

Jump to: